Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**Pic of Sheriff's dept added** 13 year old killing protest **Funeral was at 5p**

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM
  • 104 Replies

The protestors are out to protest the shooting of Andy Lopez, a 13 year old walking to his friends with a pellet gun that resembled an AK-47.

There was an advisory for the protestors and residence sent out, actually multiple.

1. stated that people brought fake guns that resembled Andy's to the protest and were pointing them at people.  The SRPD gave them a warning that it will not be tolerated at the next protest/demonstration.

2. Vandalism will also not be tolerated

3. SRPD warned citizens to take alternative routes other than downtown and Mendocino Avenue as that is where protestors will be marching.

4. SRPD sent out a bulletin that they will be helping to block off roads so that protestors remain safe while marching.

5. All public offices closed early, not sure if that includes the sheriff's office.  ???

Anywho, I live about a mile out from the Sheriff's office, I can hear the helicopter circling the Sheriff's office right now.  I'll post pics.  Mostly middle and High schoolers.  Some former, graduated, students as well as teachers make up the majority of the crowd. 

I must say I haven't seen this big of a demonstration since the church was fighting against gay marriage, and that was just about a hundred or so people.

Pallbearers, many of whom were classmates of Andy Lopez, carry the casket at his funeral. (Rachel Dornhelm / KQED)

Protesters are seen marching in Santa Rosa, Calif., on Tuesday. (NBC Screenshot)

This is the Sheriff's dept front doors, they are about to do their demonstrations here. 

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TaughtTot
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:34 PM

LectioDivina
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

You know things are going bad when even the middle schoolers start protesting...

Click_Queen
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM

scary

TaughtTot
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:37 PM

He was a middle schooler.

Quoting LectioDivina:

You know things are going bad when even the middle schoolers start protesting...

-Kit-
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Maybe they realize they're acceptable targets for police now and it's not just adults and people with mental illnesses or mental retardation that htye can kill and get away with it.

Quoting LectioDivina:

TaughtTot
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Embedded image permalink

Mrs.Missi
by punk rock princess on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Good for them. As the parent of a teen with many airsoft pellet guns, this is my worse nightmare come true. I don't let my son play with his in front of my home because this is exactly what I fear could happen. That poor child.
TaughtTot
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:44 PM

(Marcio Jose Sanchez/ Associated Press ) - Protesters hold an image of Andy Lopez as they march on Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2013, in Santa Rosa, Calif. Hundreds of people have gathered in Santa Rosa to protest the fatal shooting of a 13-year-old boy by a California sheriff’s deputy. Andy Lopez was shot by a Sonoma County deputy last week after authorities say the deputy mistook a pellet gun Lopez was carrying for an assault rifle.

TaughtTot
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I'm a counselor for teens out here and I feel so bad for all parties involved.  This is a lot of parents worst nightmare.

Quoting Mrs.Missi:

Good for them. As the parent of a teen with many airsoft pellet guns, this is my worse nightmare come true. I don't let my son play with his in front of my home because this is exactly what I fear could happen. That poor child.

TaughtTot
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM

A police officers monitors a protest march on Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2013, in Santa Rosa, Calif. Hundreds of  people have gathered in Santa Rosa to protest the fatal shooting of a 13-year-old boy by a California sheriff's deputy. Andy Lopez was shot by a Sonoma County deputy last week after...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN