Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm not giving YOU candy...are you nuts?!?~~~UPDATE IN PURPLE!~~~

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 173 Replies
1 mom liked this

Okay, so in years past in the two parts of Maine that I've lived I've seen, with my own eyes, in two VERY tiny towns where literally everyone knows everyone else:

~Pregnant WOMEN (not girls, WOMEN, in their 20's-30's), having their first kid, so no other kids at home, dress up and trick or treat...my two favorite tackiest had to be the woman in booty shorts (it was below freezing that night), a sports bra, knee high black and orange striped socks, who painted her VERY pregnant belly like a pumpkin and her face like a jack o'lantern and did her hair in two side pig tails...and the one who dressed up like a pregnant PlayBoy Bunny

~Teenagers NOT in costume carrying dirty pillowcases and having ATTITUDE...as in BEATING on my door and screaming "GIVE US CANDY NOW!!" instead of attempting to even keep to tradition or at least be polite

~Moms in costumes pushing infants (as in babies who aren't even eating solid food yet) in strollers and trick or treating - OK JUST WANTED TO CLARIFY A TON OF US MOMS LOCALLY (AND ON HERE, TOO, I SEE!) LOVE LOVE LOVE SEEING BABIES DRESSED UP! SOOOO CUTE!! WHAT IRKS ME THAT I SHOULD HAVE CLARIFIED I GUESS IS THAT MOST OF US LOCAL MOMS HAVE INFANT/SMALL TODDLER APPROPRIATE STUFF TO HAND OUT LIKE BOARD BOOKS, NON-CHOKING HAZARD TOYS, MICKEY D'S TREAT COUPONS, ETC. ONE OLDER LADY THE NEIGHBORHOOD ALL CALLS GRAMMY BEA HAND MAKES BABY QUILTS THAT SHE ALSO SELLS OTHER TIMES OF THE YEAR. WE HAVE ALL HAD MOMS GET IRATE BECAUSE WE WOULDN'T GIVE A 3-6 MONTH OLD A HANDFUL OF CANDY FROM THE BOWL...THAT'S WHAT IRKS ME...ARE THEY OUT THERE TO ENJOY BABY'S FIRST HALLOWEEN, OR TO USE THEIR BABY FOR THEIR OWN GAIN? WOULDN'T YOU RATHER GET SOMETHING FOR YOUR BABY'S FIRST 10/31 THEY THEMSELF CAN ACTUALLY ENJOY AND USE?

Do YOU think it's wrong of me to turn these kinds of people away? I LOVE Halloween and everything about it, but people who are out just to get something for nothing, or teens who feel entitled to demand candy from me just because they or their parents think they're too old for costumes/trick  or treat...doesn't fly with me. The school does a FREE carnival for kids, including pre-teens/teens who aren't able/allowed to trick or treat on Halloween. Games, rides, food, prizes, a dance, cake walk, TONS of fun...no reason to go door-to-door being a butthead, IMO...

What would you do in these instances?

Also to clarify, I'm not the only one who feels this way, most of us sit out on our porches or in our yards around mini fire pits. We don't have to worry about prankers because the town is so small that everyone knows everyone else, and if you DID pull something either you'd be caught in the act or outed by a friend because some other poor kid caught hell for your stunt. Two years ago a truckload of boys from the next town over, which is bigger, came to Guilford to try to make trouble and pulled into the full-service gas station. The attendant noticed spray paint, a bunch of pumpkins, cases of tp etc in the back and called one of the county sheriff's who lives next door to the gas station. He drove over and confiscated everything then told them that he better see their taillights and that he knew who all three of them were, and their dads, because their dads worked in our wood mill, so if ANY pranks went down in Guilford he'd assume they had a hand in it and made sure their dads knew what they had already been caught with. People look out for each other, but we do have some people with no class, poor judgement, absolutely zero parenting skills and those who want anything they can get for free, by any means possible...it sucks because its supposed to be a fun holiday and some people have stopped handing out candy, carving jack o'lanterns, decorating their houses, ANYTHING to do with Halloween beyond costuming their kids and going to the carnival BECAUSE of the rude kids and craptastic adults who abuse the spirit of the holiday...

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM

BUMP!

momofne
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I never turn anyone away but those are tacky people.

christen392
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM
I give one piece to every person who says trick or treat.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting christen392:

I give one piece to every person who says trick or treat.
I normally do, too, but some of the people in my town are beyond ludicrous. And when a group of older teens (15-18) comes and beats on my door with both fists and screams "GIVE US CANDY NOW!!!" when I open it, I just laugh and shut the door in their faces...not having it. Crazy to let them think that behavior is permissible, or that I fear reprisals in the form of "tricks" because I don't give in to them
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM

BUMP!

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Quoting momofne:

I never turn anyone away but those are tacky people.

lalaboosh
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't turn people away, but I agree about all but the last example being uncool. I like seeing the babies dressed up.
eesmommy
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM
honestly i dont care who you are lol we do it for the kids. we give them a giant bowl and a cup and they give every person a scoop.
Prplesockmonkey
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I give teens and mothers with young babies last year's candy, all other get the good stuff *evil laugh*

And yes I have a bucket specifically for the teenagers ;) I'm an asshole, I know!

Also should clarify, if the baby isn't an infant I have dum dum suckers I give specifically to babies 4+ months, younger than that and "baby" gets last years candy...
Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I plan on taking my 6 month old... =S

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)