Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At what age can you leave children home alone?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:25 PM
  • 45 Replies

I just read a man in Florida was arrested for leaving his 9 and 10 year old daughters home alone. One was injured, and I guess the guy was on a date.. Which is whatever to me, at least he wasn't out doing drugs.

my dd is 13 and I do leave her home alone, not for extended periods of time, but I started letting her stay home when she was 10... We started out on short shopping trips, but never more than an hour or two. Hell, she babysits for some families in our neighborhood now... Alone.

I remember walking home with my brother from kindergarten (I was 5, he was 6).

We live near Miami, and my neighborhood growing up wasn't the best... Where I live now is a much better area.

do you leave your kids alone? If not, at what age do you think is appropriate?

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jurbi
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM
I was going to leave my 6 and 7 at home for about 10 minutes the other day while I drove down 1/2 mile to my moms for something, they know how to dial my number and their dad was asleep in the next room.. Last minute they change their mind and wanted to come:) I would think 10 would be fine for an hour or two..
crazytexan
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Bump. I would like to hear some answers too. I have a 9 and a 7 year old, and the thought of leaving them at home alone scares me
Baby4us09
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM

My DS is 12 and I won't leave him home alone. He goes with either my DH or I. He is also ASD if that even makes a difference.

CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

For us, it will al depend on our sons maturity...and of course the legal age that it's allowed....and I'm not even sure what that age is yet....our little guy is only 5 and my stepson is 11 but he is profoundly autistic so he will never be left home alone, ever, even as an adult.

leksismommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Shoot, at 9 I was babysitting my 2yo brother, it depends on the kid

lilsirsmomma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM
I think it depends on the maturity level of the kids. I started leaving my daughter at home at age 10. Overnight (I work nights) when dad flaked out at age 13 or 14. She is a mature kid and very trustworthy. My 12 year old...no. I wouldn't leave him. If the house were burning around him, he probably wouldn't even notice.
MamaTrombley
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Not sure about other states. But here in Oregon it is illegal to leave children under 12 home alone.

PaulaChillz
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

My D os 13 and baybsits and has been at home on her own since she was 10/11 she also watches our 8 y/o  on short trips  1- 2 hrs. I think it depends on the children you know your kids you know what they can handle or not, at least thats how we decided when our D's could be home alone.

liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM

In my state, there isn't an exact age.  It depends on the kid.  My son was 9, for a trip to a store I could see from my house.  (For milk or something.)  He's 13, and our neighbors are great.

holyhoola
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM
When you trust them. I leave my ten and seven year olds home but take my thirteen year old with me. Its only for a couple hours tops.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN