Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Since your kid is not allowed to Celebrate Halloween My kid can't either?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 122 Replies

SO there is a kid in my son's class who does not celebrate holidays. I totally respect that, i Have friends that are JW. But its not fair that the kids (my) can't have a little fun that day. The teacher doesn't know how to do something for them without offending the kid. So there will be no games, no treats..etc.  I honestly think is BS and the kids parents maybe shouldn't send him to school that day.

what do you ladies think?

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaTrombley
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Our school isnt doing anything for halloween. Its plainly stated in the handbook.No Costumes and Halloween will not be Celebrated at school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course he should come to school that day. School is for learning not holiday parties.

I do think there is a better solution than calling of the entire holiday party. Perhaps the child can study in the library or read while the other kids partake in holiday activities. Or he can have non holiday themed treats or something.
An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:30 PM

My daughter's school doesn't do anything for Halloween. Not allowed. In fact, the grades that have them, all have testing that day. My daughter is only in pre-k, but will have a Halloween party. That's only because they filled up some jar, so they are doing it as a reward. Otherwise they wouldn't. The parties may take away valuable time that can be used for other things.

Paranoai
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:30 PM

is it a private school?

Quoting MamaTrombley:

Our school isnt doing anything for halloween. Its plainly stated in the handbook.No Costumes and Halloween will not be Celebrated at school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Our school has a movie in the gym for the kids that don't celebrate.

Paranoai
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM

the "party" is not all day. They were just planning on doing crafts and special treats during break time

Quoting An0nym0use:

My daughter's school doesn't do anything for Halloween. Not allowed. In fact, the grades that have them, all have testing that day. My daughter is only in pre-k, but will have a Halloween party. That's only because they filled up some jar, so they are doing it as a reward. Otherwise they wouldn't. The parties may take away valuable time that can be used for other things.

greywitchoregon
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM
11 moms liked this

I remember the good ol days in which we did this.. If your child doesnt participate OH WELL.. THAT IS LIFE.. GET OVER IT.. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM

When I taught school we had both JW and Seventh Day Adventist? (the second one might have been something else, I just know we have a large SDA population here) that did not celebrate Halloween, Birthdays and other things.  When something that they were not allowed to participate  in came up their mother taught them to politely (and they were very polite about it) remind the teacher and ask to be excused.  In one school the kids went to the library and at another they read in the hallway (in kindergarten he took toys from the play area and went in the hall.)  Which seems more reasonable than denying the whole class.

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM
We do fall festival parties on Thursday.
meaganmac
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with you. My kids' school celebrates Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day and Easter. I feel like if someone chooses to not celebrate those holidays, that they should keep their child home the day the kids have their festivities.

The kindergarten teacher even does a sleepover for her class on the last Thursday before Christmas break. They play games, have supper and camp out in the gym. Santa comes overnight so they have gifts and stockings to open in the morning and they all have breakfast together and then a fun day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)