Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cutting nap time to add more "instructional" time?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

So its now almost November, DD has been in school since the beginning of August. This week a letter was sent home saying nap time is being cut from one hour to just 30 minutes and both recesses were being cut by 10 minutes for AM and 5 minutes for the PM recess. I'm okay with the changes in recess length, but the nap time changes bugs me.

30 minutes just isn't very long at all. By the time they get all the children laid down and quitened down its time to get them back up.  I understand some kids do not need a nap time in Kindergarten, but others (my DD for instance) does still need that little bit of rest time.

It helped her get through all her after school activities and she wasn't a monster by the time she got home from being over worked. Her schedule right now has her getting done with everything at 5 pm (she has cheer practice 3 times a week and tutoring once a week) her only free day to catch up on sleep is Wednesdays since they have an early release. I can't get my money back if I pull her from cheer and we forked out a pretty good bit for her uniform and cheer camp already.

Several other parents aren't happy with this either, so my question is:

Is this a subject worth appealing to the school board over?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally don't see the need for nap time at all. If your child is unable to get through a school day without sleeping, he isn't ready to be in school, plain and simple. It's K, not day care.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe instead of having a ton of after school activities, she should be concentrating on learning during school, instead of needing an hour of sleep during the day. If she can't make it through the day without a nap, you need to talk to her doctor. And cut out activities that are making her tired and unable to live without a nap. School is useful. Dance class isn't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Scientific fact that some children and adults need more sleep than others. That's like saying because you need 6 hours to function properly and I need 8 that I shouldn't hold a job either..

Quoting Anonymous:

I personally don't see the need for nap time at all. If your child is unable to get through a school day without sleeping, he isn't ready to be in school, plain and simple. It's K, not day care.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Even before cheer started she has still taken a nap during the day. The doctor doesn't seem worried about it since she's only 5 and some kids do need more sleep than others.

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe instead of having a ton of after school activities, she should be concentrating on learning during school, instead of needing an hour of sleep during the day. If she can't make it through the day without a nap, you need to talk to her doctor. And cut out activities that are making her tired and unable to live without a nap. School is useful. Dance class isn't.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:13 PM

K is more about learning than sleeping. Hopefully your child adjusts. Not something to go to school board over.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Not even remotely the same thing, and you know it. You are complaining because if she isn't sleeping a full hour, she can't do cheerleading. Sorry, in my house, education is more important than waving around a pair of poms 3 nights a week. If she can cheer, she shouldn't need a nap. If she needs a nap, then do it after school, instead of cheering. Priorities- some of us have them.
Quoting Anonymous:

Scientific fact that some children and adults need more sleep than others. That's like saying because you need 6 hours to function properly and I need 8 that I shouldn't hold a job either..

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:15 PM

As I just said, she still needed that nap before cheer started. And the fact is that she's grumpy as everything by the time she gets home even on days that she doesn't have cheer.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not even remotely the same thing, and you know it. You are complaining because if she isn't sleeping a full hour, she can't do cheerleading. Sorry, in my house, education is more important than waving around a pair of poms 3 nights a week. If she can cheer, she shouldn't need a nap. If she needs a nap, then do it after school, instead of cheering. Priorities- some of us have them.
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I understand your point, but by K most kids don't nap. It's not a daycare. Can you get her to bed a little earlier?

KnittinMama
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Our school never had nap time. I don't send them to school to sleep. I would be more concerned that she can't stay awake and functional during school than money spent on cheerleading. What kindergarten has cheerleading anyway? What are they cheering for?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Put her to bed earlier.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)