Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

update my house is being foreclosed and I didn't even know!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 291 Replies
1 mom liked this
Dh's uncle owns the house we live in and are buying at the moment. He lived here for four years before us. We moved in March of 2012. In April of this year he asked if we would just like to buy the house from him. $500 a month for 5 years and we'll own it.

Tonight I come home from work to papers taped to my front door. Theyre stating that in March of 2013 the house was taken by the city for failure to pay taxes in 2011. We had no clue of this. Its stating we have until Court on January 14th 2014 to pay almost $9000 or move out.

We called his uncle amd all he said was "well, its your problem now"

Wtf!?!? I'm so mad I'm in tears! I didn't even want to move in this house. Dh swore he just wanted to help his uncle and blah blah blah. And now this?

*thanks everyone for the advice and listening to me complain. Its 2 in the morning and 6am comes awful early. I'm going to try and get some sleep. I'll check into everything everyone has suggested tonight. Thanks again.

*update* I've been on the phone all morning. I've been sent from the treasurer, to an equity loan place, to the county clerk, to different divisions of the county clerk.
Come to find out my home isn't even in my landlords name. Its in the name of a woman from another state. Taxes bills are sent her her and everything.
Found out theres 3 years worth of taxes that havent been paid. The only thing in my landlords name is the license to rent the property.
I have an appointment with a lawyer friday at 1:30.

To answer some questions
We signed a contract for lease. Apparently that never got turned in which even if it did I'm sure wouldn't matter considering its not in his name anyways.

No, my dh does not work. Why? He's lazy. He got ssi for a while but no longer does. I know he can work. Yes I'm aware that I should of left a long time ago.

Talked to the uncle again, he says "oh don't worry I'll fix it." I'm nit waiting. I'm not paying him another penny. Why pay money to the perwon who doesn't even own the house?

I didn't expect so many replies so I'll start trying to answer those now. Thanks to everyone with advice. I appreciate it.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:34 AM
3 moms liked this

Get a lawyer

Hutersmom
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:34 AM
3 moms liked this
If you didn't get it in writing your screwed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.PinkHart.
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:36 AM
9 moms liked this
Technically it is his problem bc he owns the home and the taxes were his responsibility. However it becomes your problem when they take the house bc you are then without a home.
.PinkHart.
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Yup

Quoting Hutersmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
If I didn't get what in writting?

Quoting Hutersmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd be pissed off at that jackass for having you pay for HIS mistake. Do you guys have a lease stating when you moved in?

bellawomen
by Summer on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Did you have a contract? Whose name is the house under?

Check your laws because if you had a verbal agreement it might be enough to hold YOU accountable for the taxes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this
After the fiasco we had I will never buy or sell a house on rent to own contract.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:38 AM
8 moms liked this

Was there any official deed transfer? If not, the most you have to worry about is moving out I would think. If it's still in HIS name, it's his problem, I believe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:38 AM
We have four kids and I'm the only one working atm. We're really screwed :'(

Quoting .PinkHart.:

Technically it is his problem bc he owns the home and the taxes were his responsibility. However it becomes your problem when they take the house bc you are then without a home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)