Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At what age CAN you take your baby trick or treating?

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:54 AM
  • 17 Replies

I've seen so many posts about if it's okay to take a baby trick-or-treating for candy and a lot of people saying that they shouldn't take them because babies obviously can't eat candy. But is it so obvious? In some cases, yes, but at some point it becomes a matter of opinion. Not everyone gives their kids sugary foods at the same ages. Not every one is as strict or relaxed as the next person.

So what's yours? When can a baby be taken trick-or-treating? 

I personally wouldn't take a baby unless they were around the age of 1 or older. My son was 11 months, very close to his first birthday. He probably didn't visit more then 6-10 houses and he probably ate a few licks of a sucker that night lol. Last year I took my 1 month old (no, she wasn't cold, I live in warm weather lol.) but I didn't actually take her to the doors to get candy. Just my then 6 year old got candy. This year she is 13 months and I will let her go up to the doors to get candy and she'll probably have a sucker or some other small thing that night :)

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the_dude
by abides on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:00 AM
we were all deathly ill last year so this will be my baby girls first (2.5, didnt take her out at 6ms, she had sniffles and it was soooo cold) and my little mans (5.5) 3rd year of trick of treating.
the_dude
by abides on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:01 AM
dude thinks a year to 18mths is a great age to take them.
Armygirl2299703
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:02 AM

We took my DD trick or treating her first halloween...she was almost 5 months old. We didn't like go around the neighborhoods or anything. Just to a kid event at Wal-Mart, one of the malls..that kind of stuff. She enjoyed it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:03 AM
1 mom liked this

when they can EAT the candy they are gettting!!!

Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Last year she slept the whole time (kind of a one month old thing lol) but I think she's going to have a BLAST this year. She loves going outside, she loves people, and she loves showing off :) Can she eat a lot of candy? No. Will I eat most of it? YES YES YES!!! But she's still going to have so much fun and I wouldn't deprive her of that ;)

Keara20
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine was 13 months almost 14 months when she went trick or treating last year. She's so excited this year. She keeps calling the candy happy birthday candy
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:04 AM
I'm taking my 1 yr old. People gawk over my cute baby AND I get candy?! Win-fucking-win. We are just going to the church though. I probably won't take him door-to-door until he's 3-4. They're doing a chili cookoff too so it will be a lot of fun.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:06 AM
It's a personal thing. I took a couple of my babies out because I wanted to have pictures for their scrapbooks of their very first Halloween.

My oldest daughter was 7 months

My second daughter did go for her "first" because she was only 2 months old and it rained but she went the following year

My third daughter was nearly 8 months. She didn't go out with me because her father passed away the night before and I was a wreck. She went trick or treating with her auntie and sisters.

My son was 10 months old last year. By this time, we all go out as a family. I didn't bring a bag to get candy. An elderly neighbor gave me one because "it's only fair" lol
Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Exactly! I have an 8 year old too though so I have an extra excuse to go door to door!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm taking my 1 yr old. People gawk over my cute baby AND I get candy?! Win-fucking-win. We are just going to the church though. I probably won't take him door-to-door until he's 3-4. They're doing a chili cookoff too so it will be a lot of fun.

nolongermstkn
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:07 AM
My son was almost 2 his first TofT
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)