Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My daughter got in trouble for crying at school!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 170 Replies
My daughter Hannah is 9 and in 4th grade. Her Science teacher is Ms. Roe and her class goes to her classroom for science. Yesterday my daughter accidently left her science homework in her regualar classroom. She tried to explain that to Ms. Roe but several other students didn't have their homework either and she didn't want to hear all their excuses. Ms. Roe was really mad that so many students didn't have their homework so she told them all as punishment they had to write a paragraph explaining why they didn't have their homework and they would be losing recess. My daughter has never forgotten her homework or ever been in trouble before so she started crying. She told me she was trying really hard not to but she couldn't help it. She wasn't loudly sobbing or disrupting class she was sitting at her table writing her paragraph with tears running down her face. The teacher didn't even notice until a girl told her Hannah was crying. She called Hannah up to talk to her and once my daughter explained that she had her homework it was just in her other class room Ms Roe let her go get it. Ms. Roe then told her her behavior was "ridiculous" and she had to miss 1 minute of recess for crying. It doesn't really bother me that she had to miss a minute of recess. Even though my daughter did her homework she was still unprepared by forgetting to bring it with her. I am not one of those moms that always thinks my child is right. I almost always agree with the teacher. But the thought of her being so embarrassed and crying and then told she was ridiculous and punished in front of all her classmates makes me sad for her. Would you say anything to her teacher or let it go?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM

BUMP!

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM
2 moms liked this

let it go. She cant take back what she said and it might make your DD her target.

grannie_kel
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:08 AM
3 moms liked this

I think if you mention it to the teacher, she will think that ridiculousness runs in the family.  I wouldn't say anything.  Tomorrow it will be a different kid embarrassed over something and your child's moment will be forgotten by all. 

chickensmommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM
3 moms liked this
I'd have a problem with that. I'd be talking to the principal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this
Let it go. Don't be that mom. Unless it seriously compromises your daughter's well-being, let school matters remain school matters.
art.diva
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM
5 moms liked this

Let it go.  It may suck, but kids have to learn about true life at some point.  I would be livid with the teacher too, but your daughter may actually benefit from this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM
5 moms liked this
Teachers shouldn't be allowed to punish a student for crying and being upset. Personally, I would speak to the school about it. That was uncalled for. I do agree, that being punished for forgetting her homework was the right thing. But no one should be punished for being upset.
EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM
It overstepped but I'd let it go this time. If anything else happens, say something to the school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM

If this teacher keeps up the poor treatment, say something

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM
7 moms liked this
Nope because sorry but it was ridiculous there was no reason for her to be crying she is too old for that. Did she need to miss any recess over it no but is it worth discussing with the teacher no I would let it go and move on
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)