Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Not Having a 'Thigh Gap' Apparently Makes a Woman a 'Hefty Pig'??

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 215 Replies
2 moms liked this

Not Having a 'Thigh Gap' Apparently Makes a Woman a 'Hefty Pig'

by Maressa Brown

robyn lawley'Plus-size' model Robyn LawleySeveral years back, a journalist friend of mine wanted to know what I thought about the "clavicle" trend. She was doing a piece for a major women's magazine on how women were striving to be so thin that their collarbones would jut out. Healthy, right? There's also been a lot of coveting of abs so devoid of fat that you can see the rib cage. Sexy! And now, model Robyn Lawley is drawing our attention to the latest truly sick, "thinspiration" on social media: The "thigh gap."

The plus-size model writes on The Daily Beast that an un-retouched photo of her in lingerie was posted on a Facebook page dedicated to "the space between one's thighs," which this circle feels is something all women should aspire to have. And the page's followers proceeded to rip Robyn as "hefty" and a "PIG," because apparently, her thigh gap was not big enough.

What ... the ...?!?

As shocking and horrifying as it may sound at first blush, this is nothing new. Robyn points out that she's been aware of women's aspirations to have a "thigh gap" since she was 12. So have I.

Being a chubby tween and overweight teen (who had no idea yet that her struggles on the scale were linked to various genetic, hormonal issues), I had an epiphany around fifth grade that maybe I shouldn't be wearing shorts like the other kids. I remember being called "thunder thighs." A lot. And to this day, my mom will say that I have my paternal grandmother's pear shape -- which means liposuction may be my only recourse for my unapologetically touching thighs!

But somewhere along the line, I threw in the towel on worrying about it. Today, I'm elated by the fact that my thighs and glutes are more toned and tighter than ever thanks to my fitness regimen, but does that mean they're tiny and don't touch? Hell no! I agree with Robyn, who writes that she wants her thighs "to be bigger and stronger." She wants to "run faster and swim longer." Hey, she's not the first to say it. I've always loved the Shakira lyric that goes, "Lucky I have strong legs like my mother/To run for cover when I need it!"

THAT is what we need to be aspiring to and telling our daughters and our sisters and our friends is beautiful. I don't know about you, but ensuring the biggest muscles in our body are lean, strong, and capable -- which by the way, burns more fat! -- is a thousand times sexier than having some asinine "thigh gap"!

How do you feel about this harmful "thigh gap" trend?

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mab05
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM
I had never heard of this till recently. I didn't know this was an aspiration to some people.

It's pretty weird
idunno1234
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM
16 moms liked this

Damn.....I wish my plus size looked like she does.  Plus size, really???

LovemyQ
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:17 AM
12 moms liked this

I was a volleyball player in high school, 6 pack abs, very muscular, still had thighs that touched. looking back at pictures, I had clavicles and I looked skinny, almost too skinny, and still had thighs touching.

Honestly, looks really weird when there are two sticks coming off the pelvis. Not normal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Not evey woman's body can achieve a thigh gap. Some women's thighs are not wide enough even though they are thin.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I heard that... by my 7th grade teacher.... "it's not right if girls thighs touch" or something like that. Took a big hit to my self esteem subs I was a big girl. Now- 10 years later, idc
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM
5 moms liked this
Some people are naturally thin, why should they be made to feel inferior or weak?

I agree it's not something to obsess over, but having visible collarbones or a thigh gap doesn't mean someone is sick or not natural...

I honestly think articles like this are the same issue, just on the other side of the debate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liastele
by Lauren on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Clearly I wasted my time in college. I should have gone pre-med because at the rate things are going, plastic surgeons will be on every corner to alter women's bodies into perfect Barbie dolls.

.Milfshake.
by SoNastySoRude on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM
6 moms liked this
it truly amazes me how vain and ignorant our society has become.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oddy_Knocky
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM
11 moms liked this

I haven't had a thigh gap since I was 6.

Fuck the thigh-gap trend. I was thin and fit as a kid, ran track for different schools but my thighs have always touched.

This shit is ruining our daughters.

bamamommy2009
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM

i think it is stupid- honeslty i dont want to be a size 0 i want to be happy in my own skin- a girl i grew up with her parents woud tell her she has thunder thighs but you know she is one othe most beautiful women i know today and now she jokes about that name but she embraced how wonderufl her body shape is, it boggles my mind that we want to preach be comfy in your own skin BUT you need to change_______ or you need to do ___ to feel happy...iam goingon a diet{ttc} but am i starving myself? nope do i expect to fit into a size 2 wehn im done- nope but i will enjoy my life and not tease myself or become afraid that the burge is goign to make my tighs touch! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)