Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do i have to return a lost dog?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I found a german shepherd running down the middle of the highhway. I picked her up so she wouldn't get hit. I called the animal shelter and told them I had found a german shepherd, i posted it in the newspaper, put up a sign at the post office, posted on Craigslist and nobody ever claimed her. It's been 3 months and no luck. I gave up after 2-3 weeks of advertising. I left all the signs and posts, but stopped actively looking. 3 months later (today)

(Posted on Craigslist Lost & Found)

Someone stole my german shepherd (Kairai) out of my padlocked fenced in backyard! It happened July 24th of 2013. We are a young married couple and we love and miss our Kairai! We have no kids and so Kairai is like our baby! We are not offering a reward but know she is much loved! Please bring Kairai home!

First of all....July 24th...No. I picked her up July 15th. Thats almost 10 days that they didn't notice the dog was gone? I've cared for this dog, me and my kids are attached, i've trained her...I don't want to give her back. She was very skinny and shy when I got her...Now shes back to health and very fun and energetic. I have proof that i've posted it on CL and notified the animal shelter...I really don't wanna give her back. If they find out I have Kairai, Can the police take her away from us? Theres no special marks or anything to prove that Kairai, is Kairai. She had a tag on her that said "My Name Is Krazy Kairai" which has been changed to "Kyrie La'Bell" (Our last name)

What rigts, after 3 months, do Kairai's previous owners have if they were to find out?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
lilypad12788
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Keep the dog.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:40 PM

You did the right thing after you found her. After 3 months I would say you are her new owner. I don't really know the legality of it, but I do believe having possession of something for that long should make it legally yours, and in the case of animals I am pretty sure it's considered possession. When I take a cat to the animal shelter the first thing they ask is, if there is no microchip, and he/she hasn't been claimed in a week, would you like to be considered for adoption. So pretty sure they had ample time to find their so called "beloved" pet.

Lucky2BaMomof2
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM
You've had her long enough, and did the right things by trying to find the owner.. It's a case of abandonment past the month point..

They can't do anything
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

What about when the owners are ACTIVELY searching, but the people who found and kept the pet don't come forward? How can they claim that the pet is theirs? You can bet your ass that if I foind out who has my dog I will be taking a cop to their house and reclaiming MY dog. He ran away and we have been searching for him everyday for 7 weeks. He is still ours, not whoever has him. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You did the right thing after you found her. After 3 months I would say you are her new owner. I don't really know the legality of it, but I do believe having possession of something for that long should make it legally yours, and in the case of animals I am pretty sure it's considered possession. When I take a cat to the animal shelter the first thing they ask is, if there is no microchip, and he/she hasn't been claimed in a week, would you like to be considered for adoption. So pretty sure they had ample time to find their so called "beloved" pet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

That's not what happened here. She made an active effort to find the original owners.

Quoting sarah824:

What about when the owners are ACTIVELY searching, but the people who found and kept the pet don't come forward? How can they claim that the pet is theirs? You can bet your ass that if I foind out who has my dog I will be taking a cop to their house and reclaiming MY dog. He ran away and we have been searching for him everyday for 7 weeks. He is still ours, not whoever has him. 

Quoting Anonymous:

AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

If your dog was lost, wouldn't you want someone to return them to you? 

In your posting on craiglist... did you mention the tag? I would contact them and see if they can identify her by her collar and tag that she had on.... if it's their dog... you should return her to her original owner. 

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM

So glad to see that I am not the only one who feels this way. 

Quoting AmiJanell:

If your dog was lost, wouldn't you want someone to return them to you? 

In your posting on craiglist... did you mention the tag? I would contact them and see if they can identify her by her collar and tag that she had on.... if it's their dog... you should return her to her original owner. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Keep the dog
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM

As unfortunate as that is for you and your family - you should have kept him/her leashed or in a fenced in back yard.

If what the OP described really happened, had him for checked for microchip and put up flyers and such - and no one claimed him then she should be able to keep the dog. Its apparent that the previous dog owners were shitty pet owners and should not be given a chance to redeem themselves now that the dog is healthy.

I hope you find your pup.

Quoting sarah824:

Yes, return the dog. She is NOT yours and her family misses her very much. Our dog ran away 7 weeks ago and we think someone has him. It pisses me off that people think they can just keep a dog because they found it. We have posted flyers, notified vets and shelters, posted all over FB and craigslist and still nothing. I know someone has him.

Do the right thing and return the dog!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM

$20 says they are lying to you because they want a free GSD.

I vote you should ask them about the fact that you found her long before they said she was missing. Also, when my dog was spayed the vet did a little green tattoo of 3 dots on her belly to show that she had been spayed. You could ask them to identify the shape of a similar (though imaginary) tattoo to prove that she is theirs. If they give you an answer, you'll know they're lying and are trying to guess or that she isn't their dog. My bet is that you won't get a response from them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)