Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do i have to return a lost dog?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I found a german shepherd running down the middle of the highhway. I picked her up so she wouldn't get hit. I called the animal shelter and told them I had found a german shepherd, i posted it in the newspaper, put up a sign at the post office, posted on Craigslist and nobody ever claimed her. It's been 3 months and no luck. I gave up after 2-3 weeks of advertising. I left all the signs and posts, but stopped actively looking. 3 months later (today)

(Posted on Craigslist Lost & Found)

Someone stole my german shepherd (Kairai) out of my padlocked fenced in backyard! It happened July 24th of 2013. We are a young married couple and we love and miss our Kairai! We have no kids and so Kairai is like our baby! We are not offering a reward but know she is much loved! Please bring Kairai home!

First of all....July 24th...No. I picked her up July 15th. Thats almost 10 days that they didn't notice the dog was gone? I've cared for this dog, me and my kids are attached, i've trained her...I don't want to give her back. She was very skinny and shy when I got her...Now shes back to health and very fun and energetic. I have proof that i've posted it on CL and notified the animal shelter...I really don't wanna give her back. If they find out I have Kairai, Can the police take her away from us? Theres no special marks or anything to prove that Kairai, is Kairai. She had a tag on her that said "My Name Is Krazy Kairai" which has been changed to "Kyrie La'Bell" (Our last name)

What rigts, after 3 months, do Kairai's previous owners have if they were to find out?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Replies (141-144):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I agree when my dogs got of my yard, we had flyers up, posted on Facebook, Craigs list, local news papers web sites all that same night.  By the next afternoon we had called, visited our shelter, vets offices that were open had flyers posted in a 10 mile radius of our house.  We have great friends, my MIL and her husband saw them in a persons back yard.  And got my fur baby's back. You do not wait to start posting and looking for your dogs if you really care about them.  I would be very leery of anyone after 3 months coming and saying that's my dog.  Especially if you put her name in any of your ads. I would also take down any signs that were still up.

Quoting dalbax2:

I say tough on them.  Why wait 3 months to post that you lost a dog, especially one that you "claim" to love so much.  You did everything you should....just keep the dog and enjoy it.  You are obviously a better owner. 

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I have not seen answers which makes me agree with you on all counts.

Quoting sarah824:

Have these questions been answered yet? Since the OP is avoiding them I have a feeling that there is more to the story than she is telling here.

Quoting purpleducky:

The dog was found in the same general area, and both GS are the same sex, around the same age, both were unspayed, and both had teh same name Kairai. Kairai isn't exactly a common name, I'm not sure even how they pronounced it. We changed it to Kyrie. It has to be the same dog.

3 questions

1) how far away from where the dog was found is where the "owners" live?

2) how far away from where you live do the "owners" live?

3) did you post about the name when you posted about finding a dog?

mileysmom331
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:55 PM
I wouldn't give the dog back they obviously didn't pay enough attention seeing as though they didn't even realize the dog was gone!
xxshelbyxxx
by Scarlet begonias on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Ok well we're just gonna have to agree to disagree because I'm not arguing this with you when that is the DUMBEST reasoning I've ever heard. OP said when the "owners" replied of her craigslist ad saying that's their dog, they gave a date SEVEN DAYS AFTER the day OP fohnd it as the day it went missing! Meaning they didn't know their own dog was gone for 7 days!

Sure they're that dogs original family and rightful owners because they paid for it, but they didn't CARE FOR IT, miss it or even know it was gone! Therefore a stray dog was rescued by a loving family and they know can say they legally own it

Quoting sarah824:

Do you know how far away she found the dog from where it went missing? Their lost/found posts could be in completely different areas. 

Bottomline is that the dog is NOT op's and SHE knows it. She is willfully keeping that dog from its family and that is WRONG! 

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

This is a completely different situation ! You LOOKED FOR YOUR DOG, so someone's HIDING it purposely because they're assholes! OP spent three weeks actively searching for the dogs rightful owner and no one ever claimed her! The signs and ads were left up and it took three MONTHS for these people to find out someone was looking for THEM!

How can you even act like this situation is the same as someone stealing your dog!? It's HER dog now!

Quoting sarah824:

Yes, return the dog. She is NOT yours and her family misses her very much. Our dog ran away 7 weeks ago and we think someone has him. It pisses me off that people think they can just keep a dog because they found it. We have posted flyers, notified vets and shelters, posted all over FB and craigslist and still nothing. I know someone has him.

Do the right thing and return the dog!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)