Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do i have to return a lost dog?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I found a german shepherd running down the middle of the highhway. I picked her up so she wouldn't get hit. I called the animal shelter and told them I had found a german shepherd, i posted it in the newspaper, put up a sign at the post office, posted on Craigslist and nobody ever claimed her. It's been 3 months and no luck. I gave up after 2-3 weeks of advertising. I left all the signs and posts, but stopped actively looking. 3 months later (today)

(Posted on Craigslist Lost & Found)

Someone stole my german shepherd (Kairai) out of my padlocked fenced in backyard! It happened July 24th of 2013. We are a young married couple and we love and miss our Kairai! We have no kids and so Kairai is like our baby! We are not offering a reward but know she is much loved! Please bring Kairai home!

First of all....July 24th...No. I picked her up July 15th. Thats almost 10 days that they didn't notice the dog was gone? I've cared for this dog, me and my kids are attached, i've trained her...I don't want to give her back. She was very skinny and shy when I got her...Now shes back to health and very fun and energetic. I have proof that i've posted it on CL and notified the animal shelter...I really don't wanna give her back. If they find out I have Kairai, Can the police take her away from us? Theres no special marks or anything to prove that Kairai, is Kairai. She had a tag on her that said "My Name Is Krazy Kairai" which has been changed to "Kyrie La'Bell" (Our last name)

What rigts, after 3 months, do Kairai's previous owners have if they were to find out?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Replies (21-30):
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:00 PM

He was in a fenced backyard AND wearing a shock collar attached to an electric fence. He was missing his best friend who had been put down 2 weeks earlier. He banged into the gate to open it and busted over the electric fence.

I still think she should return the dog. It is the RIGHT thing to do.

Quoting Anonymous:

As unfortunate as that is for you and your family - you should have kept him/her leashed or in a fenced in back yard.

If what the OP described really happened, had him for checked for microchip and put up flyers and such - and no one claimed him then she should be able to keep the dog. Its apparent that the previous dog owners were shitty pet owners and should not be given a chance to redeem themselves now that the dog is healthy.

I hope you find your pup.

Quoting sarah824:

Yes, return the dog. She is NOT yours and her family misses her very much. Our dog ran away 7 weeks ago and we think someone has him. It pisses me off that people think they can just keep a dog because they found it. We have posted flyers, notified vets and shelters, posted all over FB and craigslist and still nothing. I know someone has him.

Do the right thing and return the dog!!

ConnorsMommy21
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I can see both sides of it. I have a dog and we would be devastated if somone found him and didn't return him when they knew we were looking. On the other hand, if the situation is Exactally like you are describing then I would think twice (like you) in returning it to a neglectful home. Difference is, in my case my dog has a microchip which is updated frequently, and tags with my name, phone number and. rabies vaccination number.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM

why the obviously didnt want the dog. If the circumstances around the dog is exactly as OP stated, had it checked for a chip, put up flyers and such and no one came to look for her nor have they claimed her...and they waited months to put an ad up? EFF that - they didnt care about her well being 3 months ago, why let them care now.

Quoting AmiJanell:

If your dog was lost, wouldn't you want someone to return them to you? 

In your posting on craiglist... did you mention the tag? I would contact them and see if they can identify her by her collar and tag that she had on.... if it's their dog... you should return her to her original owner. 

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Keep the dog
Obviously she wasn't cared for
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM

are you sure its the same dog? did you have her scanned to make sure she wasnt chipped?

i found a dog too just a few weeks ago, very sick and skinny. we got her back up to a good weight, took her to the vet and started training her, shes about a year old and knows not one command.

we took her in, we are keeping her, i got her rabies shot in my name.. i want to get her registered.. if for what ever reason something happens.. im going to say i bought her off of craigslist and thats that

Crysrey1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM
If the dog was like you described..worms and very skinny, then I say keep the dog. 3 months and they are just now looking for the dog. Sounds odd to me.
Prplesockmonkey
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM
I would return the dog, after I made them identify the collar (color, size, tags, etc.) And the dog (age, colors, temperament, what kind of health it was in previous to it running away, etc) but if the dog was in the shape you describe I would be taking the vet documents to animal control and getting them deemed as neglectful pet owners...but that is just me...
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:05 PM

where did she put up flyers? where the dog was found? that dog could have walked a few miles away from home, i mean if your dog was lost, would you drive down every neighborhood within a 5 mile radius to see if a poster was there?  you might miss it, not everyone gets a newspaper either.  if they didnt care or want the dog, they would not be looking for it

Quoting Anonymous:

why the obviously didnt want the dog. If the circumstances around the dog is exactly as OP stated, had it checked for a chip, put up flyers and such and no one came to look for her nor have they claimed her...and they waited months to put an ad up? EFF that - they didnt care about her well being 3 months ago, why let them care now.

Quoting AmiJanell:

If your dog was lost, wouldn't you want someone to return them to you? 

In your posting on craiglist... did you mention the tag? I would contact them and see if they can identify her by her collar and tag that she had on.... if it's their dog... you should return her to her original owner. 

supermama322
by Kaylee on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM

If you do keep the dog, I would at least e-mail the owners and let them know she's not dead and that she's being well taken care of now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

you lost me at shock collar... have you ever put one around your neck and gave it a buzz?

Quoting sarah824:

He was in a fenced backyard AND wearing a shock collar attached to an electric fence. He was missing his best friend who had been put down 2 weeks earlier. He banged into the gate to open it and busted over the electric fence.

I still think she should return the dog. It is the RIGHT thing to do.

Quoting Anonymous:

As unfortunate as that is for you and your family - you should have kept him/her leashed or in a fenced in back yard.

If what the OP described really happened, had him for checked for microchip and put up flyers and such - and no one claimed him then she should be able to keep the dog. Its apparent that the previous dog owners were shitty pet owners and should not be given a chance to redeem themselves now that the dog is healthy.

I hope you find your pup.

Quoting sarah824:

Yes, return the dog. She is NOT yours and her family misses her very much. Our dog ran away 7 weeks ago and we think someone has him. It pisses me off that people think they can just keep a dog because they found it. We have posted flyers, notified vets and shelters, posted all over FB and craigslist and still nothing. I know someone has him.

Do the right thing and return the dog!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)