Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teen Pregnancy

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: do you agree?

Options:

YES with all of it!

Yes with part of it !

NO none of it !

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 147

View Results

Teen pregnancy is a BIG problem in this country. I know that in this group many like to pretend that teen moms are great and they don't have a problem raising their kids. But that's not reality. Sure some teen moms will pull it off but many more won't and will end up abusing or neglecting their kids while raising them in poverty and then their kids will grow up and become teen parents and the cycle will continue.

I say teens need access to condoms in every public school and they need science based sex education. I also don't believe parents should be able to opt their kids out of this education .

anyone with me?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
newmom3012
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM
4 moms liked this
Abortion.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was raped and became a teen mom so what do you do to stop thoses cases?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Quoting AZHOTMOM:

I think more parents need to step up to the plate and start talking to their kids more about sex and the repercussions. Stop waiting for the school to do their job.

Yes this is true also , but the kids who have parents that won't discuss it deserve an education about sex as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I had access to all those things & there were not only tons of teen mom's in my highschool but also a daycare in my highschool. This was almost 20 years ago! They sold condoms in the school & taught everything there is to know about reproduction & birth control. When I was a teen I went to planned parenthood & got on the pill without my parents ever knowing. Birth control is readily available & free in this country but you can't force kids to use it. Teen pregnancy has been around since the begining of time & isn't going anywhere.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM
What if some dont believe it abortion?

Quoting newmom3012:

Abortion.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was raped and became a teen mom so what do you do to stop thoses cases?

newmom121812
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Agreed. Its a huge problem. I can attest teen moms are not always great( my mom was so bad).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessymoka
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM
YES!

Quoting AZHOTMOM:

I think more parents need to step up to the plate and start talking to their kids more about sex and the repercussions. Stop waiting for the school to do their job.

nessa20mommy2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM
I am a teen mom. And I'm proud to say that I am one that is thriving! Live on my own, own two cars, don't have state assistance.

I get what your saying and your point.
So I'm not going to bash you.

I agree condoms and BIRTH CONTROL need to be more easily attained by teens.

But a lot of the time it's not that teens don't know how to get condoms or birth control its that they don't want to.

So again I agree with more education.

Just be a little more open minded.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Quoting JealousGrrl:

I agree that sex ed is very important, but I thought condoms were already available in most schools. When I went to high school I told the school nurse that I was sexually active and she gave me a bunch of condoms and stuff. I however do think parents should be able to opt out of sex ed. Forcing people to do anything that involves children will just create problems.

Unfortunately they aren't available in every school.

• Advocates for Youth National School Condom Availability Clearinghouse has found 418 public schools in the U.S. that make condoms available to students.13
  • Condoms are made available through different strategies: school nurse, 54 percent; teachers, 52 percent; counselors, 47 percent; other health workers, 29 percent; principals, 27 percent; other school personnel, 13 percent; bowls and baskets, 5 percent; vending machines, 3 percent; and by students, 2 percent.14
  • In 81 percent of schools, some type of parental consent is required before a student can acquire a condom. In 71 percent of the schools, all students have access to condoms, except those whose parents deny permission in writing ("opt-out"). In 10 percent, students have access only with written permission of their parents ("opt-in").14

My thinking on opting out is as follows - Parents can't opt their children out of Math , science etc.. Sex education is at least as important and therefore should be required and parents should not be permitted to Opt out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I had access to all those things & there were not only tons of teen mom's in my highschool but also a daycare in my highschool. This was almost 20 years ago! They sold condoms in the school & taught everything there is to know about reproduction & birth control. When I was a teen I went to planned parenthood & got on the pill without my parents ever knowing. Birth control is readily available & free in this country but you can't force kids to use it. Teen pregnancy has been around since the begining of time & isn't going anywhere.

I didn't say it would end teen pregnancy but the statistics on teen pregnancy where condoms are available for free to students in their school are much better then where they aren't available. Birth control is not available everywhere for free to teens , I'm glad it was for you. Being around since the beginning of time means what ? Give up and throw out hands in the air?  Teen pregnancy rates are down but why not push to get them down even lower? Do you face most things in life with such a defeatist attitude ?

rachellaree20
by Rachel on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I partially agree.  I wasn't a teen mom but was having sex by 14 years old.  More sex ed may have helped but mostly my dad put me on birth control.  I think it needs to be more about parents talking to their kids about sex then from the schools.  I didn't learn much from my sex ed classes at school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)