Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teen Pregnancy

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: do you agree?

Options:

YES with all of it!

Yes with part of it !

NO none of it !

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 147

View Results

Teen pregnancy is a BIG problem in this country. I know that in this group many like to pretend that teen moms are great and they don't have a problem raising their kids. But that's not reality. Sure some teen moms will pull it off but many more won't and will end up abusing or neglecting their kids while raising them in poverty and then their kids will grow up and become teen parents and the cycle will continue.

I say teens need access to condoms in every public school and they need science based sex education. I also don't believe parents should be able to opt their kids out of this education .

anyone with me?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:59 PM

How so and are you a teen mom?

Quoting newmom121812:

Agreed. Its a huge problem. I can attest teen moms are not always great( my mom was so bad).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Troll cat is that you ?
JRSMOM0621
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I agree that parents shouldnt opt their kids out of sex ed. Thats like skipping drivers safety. I cant remember how many of my male friends didnt know how to wrap it and I had to buy condoms and bananas to show them how.

Mommy to one angel, 1 crazy toddler and 1 on the way!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I honestly don't see anything I have said as being in the least bit close minded so I would be very interested in knowing what you think I should be more open minded about.

Quoting nessa20mommy2:

I am a teen mom. And I'm proud to say that I am one that is thriving! Live on my own, own two cars, don't have state assistance.

I get what your saying and your point.
So I'm not going to bash you.

I agree condoms and BIRTH CONTROL need to be more easily attained by teens.

But a lot of the time it's not that teens don't know how to get condoms or birth control its that they don't want to.

So again I agree with more education.

Just be a little more open minded.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM

If someone don't (sic) believe in abortion they should reconsider or think about adoption because teens really aren't equipped to parent and they shouldn't .

Quoting Anonymous:

What if some dont believe it abortion?

Quoting newmom3012:

Abortion.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was raped and became a teen mom so what do you do to stop thoses cases?

Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. I was a teen mom and, while things actually did work out very well for me and my husband (who is the father), I am not going to act ignorant and say it does in all cases. Many teen pregnancies do end up with an unfavorable outcome. I do agree that education is important, but at the same time, if teens want to have sex, they're going to.

I had ample access to condoms as a teen. I was also very knowledgeable regarding my reproductive system, lol. I was on birth control, but I am sure I was not as punctual with it as I should have been. I still think every bit helps, though- increased access to contraception and awareness may not resolve the issue 100%, but I think it's a great place to start. 

newmom121812
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Well she had me and my brother at 18 and 19. With a 40 yo who was into drugs and beat her. She left him put us in foster care. My grandma had a fit, she got us back and married my step dad( best time of my child hood) they divorced after 7 years. She qas out at the bar all the time barley saw her. Then she left to another state for 6 yeard until after i was 18 and lived off me. Thats the short of it.

No i was not a teen mom i am 23 witha 10 month old son. (I was 22 when i gave birth) i am a great mom but i worked my ass off to get that way. Iam so glad i was not a teen mom. I fully admit i was not ready til now to have a child

Quoting Anonymous:

How so and are you a teen mom?

Quoting newmom121812:

Agreed. Its a huge problem. I can attest teen moms are not always great( my mom was so bad).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMommaBear
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think it's the schools issue to be providing them with condoms or anything else like that.
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I want kids to be taught everything. The pros and cons of every choice. AND I want them to be taught the reality of pregnancy and child rearing. I want teen girls to see what kind of damage having a child could do to your appearance. I want boys to experience what it is like to deal with a hormonal, angsty, bitter, baby's mother. I think it should all be presented in the realest way, so it gets much harder for them to think, "Oh, that is not what it will be like for ME". 

The fact is, the problem will not get better until we actually reach these kids. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM
I was 13 when I had dd

. I now counsel pregnant teens who aren't in the greatest situations.

I think an increase in sex education would definitely be a good thing.

At my jr.high and high school, all sex ed was was a discussion about the 5 most common stds, a lesson on aids, and then they gave everyone a pamphlet with a phone number of a clinic to go to if you suspect you have an std or are pregnant.

Birth control and pregnancy weren't discussed. I've noticed that alot of schools are like this, sex ed has basically become a class about just stds.

I also think parents need to talk to their kids about sex. About every aspect of it. Saying "you shouldn't have sex until your mature enough" isn't enough to educate them on sex.

Most of these girls that come to me, have basically zero information. I've had girls we didn't know birth control was safe for minors to take. Ive had girls who had told me that their Parents never told them anything about sex (girls who were as ild as 17.) I've had girls who didn't even know how their periods worked.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN