Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teen Pregnancy

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: do you agree?

Options:

YES with all of it!

Yes with part of it !

NO none of it !

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 147

View Results

Teen pregnancy is a BIG problem in this country. I know that in this group many like to pretend that teen moms are great and they don't have a problem raising their kids. But that's not reality. Sure some teen moms will pull it off but many more won't and will end up abusing or neglecting their kids while raising them in poverty and then their kids will grow up and become teen parents and the cycle will continue.

I say teens need access to condoms in every public school and they need science based sex education. I also don't believe parents should be able to opt their kids out of this education .

anyone with me?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Replies (41-50):
suzanneyea
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM

You just don't have enough life cperience as a teenager. Plus, you don't make enough money. I would suck at being a poor , uneducated parent at any age actually.

Mackenzie40
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

It may not be their "job" but it's still a good idea to make sure teens have easy access to them.

Quoting ProudMommaBear:

I don't think it's the schools issue to be providing them with condoms or anything else like that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this
My 14 yr old cousin had an abortion in May....yeah sex ed needs to be mandatory....
TheMessThatsMe
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I think what irritates me about your proposal for science-based sex ed and access to condoms is that it doesn't get to the heart of the problem. If it were ingrained in the minds of teens (guys and girls alike) that sex only has place within a committed relationship, teen pregnancy wouldn't be an issue. Hell, not just teens, but young adults as well. The human brain has not finished developing in the teen years. Thus, teens make irrational decisions, are careless, and are literally incapable of making adult decisions with an adult understanding of the possible outcomes. When you provide your "science-based" sex education and end it with free, unlimited access to condoms, you completely defeat the entire purpose of the sex education! This is called enabling. When you enable teens, you are hardly preventing the possibility of pregnancy. You are giving them a false sense that they can play around and be safe. Will this science-based education include a portion on the emotional aspects of sexual relations? It's been a while since I was in school, but I never remember even once hearing about the emotional preparedness necessary for sex. This country has led its youth astray for far too long and the problem has grown to mammoth proportions - and the problem isn't just teen pregnancy - it's our country's failure to teach its children that sex should only take place within a committed relationship. So you can give your science based education and free condoms all you want - but the problem isn't going to go away. Because you will not have gotten to the root of the problem. You can argue that teens are going to do what they want anyway, but they will only do so because they are enabled. Never has this country attempted to teach its children in the public school system that sex should be avoided until they are in a committed relationship. This is a problem that has gone on for generations - decade after decade after decade. Parents who have teens now were taught casual sex is ok and to just use a condom. So this is the thinking they will pass down to their children. When you've got a parent body that thinks casual sex is ok, you're not going to ever solve the problem. If teens are taught that sex is best left in a committed relationship and parents supported that teaching, perhaps such imparted wisdom will stick. Change wouldn't happen over night. A problem that's been decades in the making will take a long time to reverse. Our whole cultural mindset would literally have to change... And really, the likelihood of that happening is slim to none. 

.Bad.Wolf.
by Morsmordre on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM

newmom3012
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Then don't bring up rape and ask for a solution.....there already is one.

What's there not to believe in? It's a medical procedure...

Quoting Anonymous:

What if some dont believe it abortion?

Quoting newmom3012:

Abortion.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was raped and became a teen mom so what do you do to stop thoses cases?

JayTee80
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Agree with the condoms being available.  I don't agree with not giving parents the option to opt out of the school's sex ed program.  Some parents may just prefer to teach this at home for religious or cultural reasons.  There are ways to feed sex into into the health education and science curriculums to ensure that those kids receive will education on pregnancy and STD prevention.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Well, I was a teen mom, and I am not in poverty and I do not abuse or neglect my kids. I actually missed out on a lot during my teen years because I chose to take care of my responsilibity and put my kids first. The last thing I would ever want is to make my kids pay for my mistakes! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I was 13 when I had dd

. I now counsel pregnant teens who aren't in the greatest situations. - how old are you now and whats your education?

I think an increase in sex education would definitely be a good thing. YES!

At my jr.high and high school, all sex ed was was a discussion about the 5 most common stds, a lesson on aids, and then they gave everyone a pamphlet with a phone number of a clinic to go to if you suspect you have an std or are pregnant. - That's pathetic!

Birth control and pregnancy weren't discussed. I've noticed that alot of schools are like this, sex ed has basically become a class about just stds.  Unacceptable 

I also think parents need to talk to their kids about sex. About every aspect of it. Saying "you shouldn't have sex until your mature enough" isn't enough to educate them on sex.  agreed

Most of these girls that come to me, have basically zero information. I've had girls we didn't know birth control was safe for minors to take. Ive had girls who had told me that their Parents never told them anything about sex (girls who were as ild as 17.) I've had girls who didn't even know how their periods worked.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM
I agree with access and education, but I don't think age alone is a risk point for abuse or neglect. I had my daughter at 17 and never did either of those, and well we struggled for awhile, my daughter never missed a meal and always had a roof over her head and plenty of clothing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN