Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

dissapointed in my sons teacher

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM
  • 94 Replies
My son came home pretty upset yesterday. He is 9 and in the 4th grade.

The class was given an assignment to write a paper on what they want to be when they grow up. While writing his outline, my son was told that he had to change his subject. She told him that wanting to be a baseball player was a fantasy to a reality.

He told her that the assignment was what he wanted to be, and thats what he wanted to be. She then proceeded to tell him that becoming a baseball player was luck and not something he can realistically work towards. Which upset him greatly because he doesnt agree withher. He feels that if he works hard, puts in the effort and sets goals ...if he is then good enough h can play baseball for a living.

And you know what, i agree with him. I also feel it was wrong of the teacher to minimize all of the effort my son puts into this sport that he lives for.

Also to add, i saw the outline l and it was really good. He talks about hardwork, dedication, commitmentand passion. It just stinks that the teacher is so closeminded.

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I wouldn't be happy either.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM
3 moms liked this

What a silly thing for her to argue about. The point of the lesson was to help them learn how to write papers. The suject is just there to help them stay on target. Personally, if I was a teacher, I think it would be interesting to read papers done by students who chose unrealistic goals. You can only read stories about doctors and firemen so many times. I bet it would be fun to read a paper outlining how a kid was planning to make a living as a tooth fairy.

AustinRonMommy
by Nickhole on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM
What a bitch.
crackerjack728
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Honestly my first reaction was to go give her a piece of my mind. But im not going to do that.

Instead my son and i talked about how sometimes other peopl just dont get it. They cant see you vision.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

I wouldn't be happy either.

EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM
3 moms liked this
Rubbish. Of course its a realistic goal. It's not guaranteed but it's perfectly possible if he's talented. 3 of my friends from school have been close friends since they were babies, and only ever wanted to play for Manchester United, and do it together. All 3 were accepted to the Man U youth training academy, which pretty much guarantees you'll at least get a chance on the bench one day. One now plays semi pro and the others are still at the academy.
crackerjack728
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Thats what i thought, who cares what the subject is. How well did he do? And wouldnt he do better writing about something he loves?
He ended up writing about becoming an umpire.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

What a silly thing for her to argue about. The point of the lesson was to help them learn how to write papers. The suject is just there to help them stay on target. Personally, if I was a teacher, I think it would be interesting to read papers done by students who chose unrealistic goals. You can only read stories about doctors and firemen so many times. I bet it would be fun to read a paper outlining how a kid was planning to make a living as a tooth fairy.

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM
3 moms liked this
That's ridiculous! As a teacher, she should be ENCOURAGING him! Isn't that her job?
crackerjack728
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Of course its a possibe goal, and i was put in the pisition of explaining that to him.

Of course we talk about the importance if education and leavibg yourself options in caee plan a doesnt pan out.

Quoting EntrepeneurMom:

Rubbish. Of course its a realistic goal. It's not guaranteed but it's perfectly possible if he's talented. 3 of my friends from school have been close friends since they were babies, and only ever wanted to play for Manchester United, and do it together. All 3 were accepted to the Man U youth training academy, which pretty much guarantees you'll at least get a chance on the bench one day. One now plays semi pro and the others are still at the academy.

crackerjack728
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Guess not.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

That's ridiculous! As a teacher, she should be ENCOURAGING him! Isn't that her job?

ripemango
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Explain to him that people who long ago gave up on their dreams, often spend the rest of their life trying to squash the dreams of others.

Some people do grow up to play pro ball. It's not like he wants to grow up to be a mushroom. WTF w this teacher!?!

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)