Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

kids cooking?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
At what age do you teach kids how to cook on the stove?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:46 PM

As soon as they can reach the knobs safely.  7 or 8 if they are mature enough.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:46 PM

My 8 year old can cook scrambled eggs and flip pancakes if I'm right there helping him. I learned to cook around the same age with my mom's help. I wouldn't trust him to cook by himself until he is much older though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I'm teaching my son, 3, with help.

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM

My kids have been using the stove solo since about 5-6.

eesmommy
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM
They sat on the counter beside me as soon as they could sit up good. They were mixing and measuring by age 2 and following oral instructions by 5, DS is 7 almost 8 and makes his scrambled eggs sometimes, DD doesn't like the open flame so she is Leary but she is only justvturned 6 so she has plenty of time. They know how to make simple dishes like chicken salad, tuna salad, sandwiches, grits in the microwave, etc etc. When I was in the hospital for 2 days DD was a huge help to dh since he doesn't cook these days. She was able to tell him what was where and how to make various foods foe them to eat.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I have and will start mine as soon as they were/are tall enough to see over the top of the stove.  My ODD was 4 when she first started cooking, and my soon to be 3 year old I have a feeling will start at about the same time her sister did, if not even a bit sooner (she's so flippin tall!!) 

My ODD is soon to be 8 and she has never been burned on or near the stove, and she is able to cook several things with little more than my presence.  

MajikMcGuffin
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM

My son was probably around 5 when we started letting him help and learn how to cook. My husband is an Executive Chef and I love to cook. We both feel cooking is a basic life skill that we should teach our son. So as soon as he showed an interest we began letting him help out and learn.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM

My 9 year old can make a grilled cheese sandwich, scrambled eggs, the basics, you know. My 7 year old is a bit more rowdy so I'm taking my time with him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:02 PM
What do they cook?

Quoting SuperPickle:

My kids have been using the stove solo since about 5-6.

daughteroftruth
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:03 PM

When they are mature enough and they follow direction without hesitation.  So each kid has been a little different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)