Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do I punish this?!? *edit with picture*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 219 Replies

My 9 year old bought black ink for a quill pen a few months ago. He was warned extensively about how careful he needed to be not to spill it, how badly it would stain, etc. It was kept downstairs in the hutch. He decided to take it upstairs for some unknown reason, and has now spilled it in a big way all over his carpeting and splattered it across his wall and dresser. The house is a rental. 

I told him that he is responsible for cleanup and any cost that might involve. He has $30 he has been saving for a video game, but I'm thinking of telling him he needs to spend it on a Rug Doctor rental. Is that unfair? I am SO angry that I can't talk to him right now. Half of me wants to tell him to forget Trick or Treating tomorrow. 

He bought rubbing alcohol (with his allowance). This is after 3 hours of scrubbing. *sigh*

He is going to try WD-40 later, but I don't think it's going to work well enough. I guess we will take it from there if it doesn't. Maybe he can work off the cost of new carpet by doing more chores for a very long time.

I'll let him ToT, but he used pumpkin-carving time cleaning up, so he missed out on that. I asked him what else would be a fair punishment and he said 3 days of no electronics as well, so we're doing that, too.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
axy
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
If you told him what the consequences could entail if he did not follow rues, then no thats fair.
chickadees
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I would be shocked if that stain comes out.  I would also be concerned about the subfloor. Did you set limitations as to where this could be used?  If so and he disobeyed you, he absolutely pays for the clean up.  If it doesn't come out is it cheaper for them to keep your security deposit or for you to replace the rug  May be time to come clean (no pun intended) with the landlord.

Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

That's plenty fair. I doubt a Rug Doctor will get it out, though :( 

Pandapanda
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:16 PM
I say make him pay for it and if he doesn't have enough to cover cleaning it, future money (except holiday money gifted to him) goes to the expense.
Blooming_Lotus
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:17 PM
I wouldn't waste your time on trying to get it out. That stuff never comes out. I'd make him pay for paint and have him paint the walls and when you move if there is a carpet replacement fee he has to pay that as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:18 PM
6 moms liked this

Well, it sounds like he disobeyed you, but that thing could have spilled anywhere even with you watching. I think it shouldn't have been purchased in the first place. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Try blotting the stain with rubbing alcohol, now, why it is fresh. See if you can get it out. Don't rub!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Yikes, that is not going to come out with a steam cleaner. Id be pissed! Not sure about taking halloween away from him though.
holyhoola
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:26 PM
12 moms liked this
Why in the world would you even buy him something like that?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Because he found wild turkey feathers and wanted to use them as a quill. He's 9, not 5, and is usually very repsonsible. He is allowed to cook, use pocket knives, paint, etc, as well. He has used it a number of times with no difficulties, putting down newspaper on the table and being very careful. 

Quoting holyhoola:

Why in the world would you even buy him something like that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)