Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ped. telling me to give 4 month old rice cereal?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 176 Replies
I'm a first time mom, my daughter just turned 4 months old. Her pediatrician thinks she has colic as she has had terrible gas at night for 3 weeks, I just started giving her some colic tablets that he approved. (She had been waking every 45min-60 mins at night, with the tablets she's still waking up every two hours to eat, PRIOR to onset of colic she was sleeping 4-5 hours at a time at night???) He also suggested giving her a really thin mix of rice cereal mixed with breastmilk before putting her to bed as he thinks she may be getting up at night due to being hungry as well....Has anyone else given their baby rice cereal this early? I've always heard wait till at least 6 months...
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lexiloo714
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Idk but people are pressuring me to give dd (3.5 months) cereal. No way, not going to happen. I'm waiting until at least six months, probably longer though.
Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I have heard it works and known people to do it. I started ds at 5 months.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:29 AM

I did as a supplement with the nursing around that age since i did not know better.  Are you nursing her when she wakes up?  It could be a growth spurt so of course she will be hungrier.

inspain
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:29 AM
6 moms liked this

Tell your ped to get stuffed and then go find a new ped.  

Didn't give my kids cereals at all.  Didn't start solids until 8 months.  

It helps to co-sleep, the baby nurses more easily and you still get to rest.

secondboy2012
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Love this!

Quoting inspain:

Tell your ped to get stuffed and then go find a new ped.  

Didn't give my kids cereals at all.  Didn't start solids until 8 months.  

It helps to co-sleep, the baby nurses more easily and you still get to rest.

alydmarie
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM
11 moms liked this
They do recommend that for colicy babies and babies with reflux. It's common. Google it. Don't take these holier than thou mommies' word as fact
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I did as a supplement with the nursing around that age since i did not know better.  Are you nursing her when she wakes up?  It could be a growth spurt so of course she will be hungrier.

When she wakes up I usually help her move her legs to release the gas she has, then she normally wants to eat. It's just strange as 3 weeks ago she was sleeping 4-5 at a time from 8pm-8am. And now I'm lucky if she sleeps 2 hours at a time....I don't want to give her something she doesn't need but at the same time I don't want to not give it to her if the ped. is right??
3MusketeerMama
by EmmaRye Pie on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:34 AM

No! That is part of what made me lose my milk. Contrary to popular belief, very few pediatricians know much about infant nutrition or breastfeeding-only what they learned in school and in rotation during their internships or residencies. Read kellymom.com on infant nutrition and you will find lots of good information on open guts, detriments of baby cereals, and the lack of necessity of them. I hate that docs push that stuff on babies so early.  :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:34 AM
13 moms liked this

Yes,it's okay to,no  it's not going to hurt her. I started giving all 3 of my babies rice cereal in their bottles when they were around 3-4 WEEKS old, and they slept, and so did I. And, guess what happened? NO obesity. NO eating disorders. NO mommy issues. NO serial killers. Just happy, healthy adult members of society, happily married, and with great jobs. 

BDolphins82
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:34 AM
2 moms liked this
I did starting at about 2 months and then slowly started baby doors at 3 months. My daughter had horrible acid reflux and our doctor had us start her earlier then normal. It worked. She stopped throwing up as much. Before starting her when she was just on formula she would puke up half of what she drank easily.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN