Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling all doctors.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

My mother had a heart attack at 7pm and it is now 12:30am. The hospital got a hold of my uncle and my brother (30), I'm 16. I had to hear from my moms co worker that she had a heart attack, and then I called my brother and he said he was trying to get a hold of me. 

Anyways, brother said that she is in the hospital and is now sleeping. What do I do? Do I go there? I know if I do I'll just bawl my eyes out. But, just in case (god forbid) that she dies tonight, I'd like to go say I love you, etc. I'm so lost. Should I just wait until 6am and go in or go in now? She's being shipped out 3 hours from here tomorrow morning most likely. Would I be able to go in the ambulance with her or do I have to drive there myself? 

I'm so lost. Someone help... 

PS sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I'm not proof reading right now.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeAmour
by Tonya on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:40 AM
I would go there for support now. Since I don't know the severity if the heart attack, I cannot assert what may or may not happen to her within the night so I'd err on the side of caution.

You won't be allowed (in typical cases) to go in the ambulance during transport.
caligirl7613
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:40 AM
im sorry!!!!! i doubt they will let you see her this late and that sucks. i would try and get there early, drive to the hosp in your own car if u can and that way if they do send her to another hospital and dont let u ride, you can get there. i hope things re ok
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Yes you go see your mother.  Having family visit is good for the patient.  

doostica
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:41 AM

You should be able to be in the ambulance with her.. When my son was shipped to another hospital when he had pnuemonia I ws aloud to ride with.... That being said it is on the descression of the EMT or hospital. 

Definately go tonight to see her though!!! God forbid anything does happen you do not want to regret it! 

caligirl7613
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:41 AM
do i think they will let her see her mom though?? i know t our local hosp you cant after 9pm

Quoting BeAmour:

I would go there for support now. Since I don't know the severity if the heart attack, I cannot assert what may or may not happen to her within the night so I'd err on the side of caution.

You won't be allowed (in typical cases) to go in the ambulance during transport.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yo_ho
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Call the hospital and ask to talk to her nurse. More than likely she is fine. Go see her in the morning before she is transported. You probably can't go in the ambulance.

hope she recovers quickly and it was a minor heart attack.

liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:43 AM

They may not let you see her if she is resting.  Especially if her prognosis is good.  Find that out first.

Edit: OK, I misread, thought it was your aunt.  As a woman who did NOT see her dad because I was told to wait (I am a single mom, people thought they were helping by urging me not to be frantic) and the never saw him again, go.

I want to add, this was my dad's 4th heart attack and he was 70.  Sounds like your mom's first and she is younger, so she will probably do well.

TheDrsRose
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:43 AM
What type was it? My mom had one when I was 13 and I stayed home. We got to bring her home a few hours later..
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Apparently my brother doesn't think it was bad. They stabilized her and she's now resting. Not really sure what that means... but yesterday she was having chest pain, she went in, they told her to go home, less than 24 hours later, she had a heart attack. Also, I was told that she has a clogged artery, and for the night they're just watching her in ICU and giving her meds to thin her blood.. 

Not sure if anyone could tell me what all of that means? Was it major, minor,etc? 

Quoting TheDrsRose:

What type was it? My mom had one when I was 13 and I stayed home. We got to bring her home a few hours later..

BeAmour
by Tonya on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't see why not.

I know hospitals have visiting hours but the hospital I worked at and have been associated with through the years, they will allow visitors whenever as long as the patient is in a private room and there's only 1-2 people who aren't going to bother sleeping patients. The nurses can typically tell who the troublemakers will be and enforce the visiting hours but from what I know and have witnessed and experienced, they *generally* wouldn't mind.

OP, I would call the floor and ask to speak with your moms RN.

Quoting caligirl7613:

do i think they will let her see her mom though?? i know t our local hosp you cant after 9pm

Quoting BeAmour:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured