Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I dont know how much more I can take.. I need real help but find it no where.

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:43 AM
  • 38 Replies

i am a mom who needs help. My oldest son was born at 34 weeks, drs made excuses with his delays based on him being born early. i stopped listening at almost 2.5 and had him tested by regional center after Google searching by myself. He was found to be very delayed, he functioned at the level of a 15-18 month old at 2 and a half years old. Regional rushed services in speech, but were unable to in occupational. They said due to his delays they believed it caused his behavioral issues, then he aged out. I requested an IEP through my district as instructed, 5 months past without IEP when my sons head start informed me of my rights , I told the district they had him tested within a week. He had an outburst and the put it off as caused by his speech delays, but then told me his speech delays were not a concern enough to get early intervention, and just keep him in headstart around kids his age, then reevaluate when he is in Kinder. Well my district cut off means no kinder till 6, and they are ignoring my pleas, his head start teacher is concerned by his behavior as well. I am at a loss. He is too old for regional , to young by medi-cal standards for a psych eval, and the district is failing me. He has every symptom and flag of SPD. I dont know what my rights are or how to fight for him.

I tried to get him a psych eval and they told me there is a 6 month waiting list just to be seen by a counselor to decide if you need to be seen, then another 6-12 months before you are seen.

His peditrician ( a new one) is getting a nuro refferal because he wont alert us to when he is in pain, he went 4 days on a broken collar bone, he split his chin 4 times in 2 weeks which required stitches to be re put in. He recently cut open his ankle at school and told no one, the teachers saw his shoe and pant leg covered in blood, and asked him what happened. He runs into walls (perfect eyesight), he can never sit still.

He at 15 months would bang his head till restrained. He throws fits not tantrums but fits which go one of three ways, catatonic , self-harming, or attempts to harm anyone around.

The district is crap here. I have no clue what to do anymore, the district has even ignored his headstarts request. But I shouldnt be surprised, this is the same district that had to be sued after the refused an interpreter to a deaf student.  

I love my little boy so much, I just want the best for him, and I know him being ignored isnt the best. 

*ETA*

Thank you to all who have replied and gave me some great advice, and to those who have bumped. thanks for anymore adivce . I'll check back tomorrow. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2manydiapers
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM

He was born with breathing complications, tempature regulating compulations and Jundice, Then he has acid reflux.

He didnt even speak till 2. 

I know I am supposed to be his voice, but I dont know how. 

2manydiapers
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I guess its too long... grr.. maybe I will go look for some groups...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:50 AM
I really don't know but here is a bump. No its not too long but idk if many will have an answer for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Bump. I wish I had advice for you. Maybe contact the news, tell them that they are basically ignoring what your son needs? Squeaky wheel gets the oil
ashleywheeler13
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Stay on them. Also I would check into special needs advocates that can help you navigate threw all this school bs.
My daughter was 24 wker and has delays .I know how you feel with the hoops going threw the EPI.
mlpcrusader
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Bump
2manydiapers
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I really don't know but here is a bump. No its not too long but idk if many will have an answer for you.

I have tried googling.. but it just pops up cases against my district in regards to their special needs program. 

I know I need to just get louder, but I did want to be that mom, my mom was that mom, and the teacher took it out on me, and all I had was ADHD and Dyslexia 

2manydiapers
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Quoting ashleywheeler13:

Stay on them. Also I would check into special needs advocates that can help you navigate threw all this school bs.
My daughter was 24 wker and has delays .I know how you feel with the hoops going threw the EPI.

its annoying how they make an excuse for preemies saying " oh this is to be expected for early kids, it just takes them longer" He is about to be five, and its just escalating .

2manydiapers
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mlpcrusader:

Bump

thanks

2manydiapers
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Bump. I wish I had advice for you. Maybe contact the news, tell them that they are basically ignoring what your son needs? Squeaky wheel gets the oil

I may have too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured