Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MMR was the worst shot...

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:48 AM
  • 17 Replies

Since I moved from one province to  another any vaccine I had from before 1994 was not listed. My mother swears I had all my vaccines however, my program at school can not just take our word for it they need proof. Luckily my blood work showed I was immune for Varciella etc. however they forgot to test for MMR. 

I didnt want to risk my clinical since the deadline was coming up for all our paperwork (vaccines, immunities,  criminal record checks etc) was coming up (due tomorrow). Without it we can be kicked out of our program. So I decided to just get a booster shot for MMR. 

Now, I am a wimp for needles as is, but I swear this shot was the painful thing I ever experienced. The nurse gave me a heads up before hand and said '' this isnt me, Im not doing anything to cause this, but this is a shot that most say really stings''. Now I can see why my sons freaked so much when they got it as babies. I had to bite my tongue from letting out a little screech and my eyes were watering instantly. 

Luckily no reaction to it yet (my friend got hers two weeks ago, her arm became very inflammed) its not even sore to move my arm like she said it would be (the arm that I got the flu shot in however I can barely move....go figure i got MMR on the side I dont write with to avoid discomfort).

So far my only side effect of either was fatigue (I was also on very little sleep the night before), I went to bed at 8 and woke up 15 minutes ago (booo!) 

Honestly, no point to this post.... just wanted to sook about having a sore arm, and getting the worst needle I ever got!

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM
yea its awful, thats y my kids dont get that shot.
caligirl7613
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:52 AM
the hospital gave me a phinagrin (sp???) shot...omg...it hurt like hell, my arm hurt for 2 whole weeks like someone had punched me repeatedly in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninjakids
by Christina on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:53 AM

My first calmed down within 30 seconds, my second was upset for about 2-3 minutes and then fine

Quoting Anonymous:

ninjakids
by Christina on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:54 AM

thats how the shot I got the flu shot in feels. It will make my lab skills testing fun if I dont have full ROM back in it by next week :(

Quoting caligirl7613:

the hospital gave me a phinagrin (sp???) shot...omg...it hurt like hell, my arm hurt for 2 whole weeks like someone had punched me repeatedly in it.

mamaof2boys816
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Ugh it hurts same with the dtap shit had my arm sore for weeks and red and inflamed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:59 AM

My daughter didn't cry any more severely over this one than others ...... but she did have reactions from it and the varicella vaccines. She ran high fever the next day (like went up to 104 and I started using rags to cool her down, tylenol only brought it down to 102). Thankfully the fever only lasted 1 day, low fever the next but never above 101. And she developed several chicken pox blisters about 2 weeks after the shot (that's when it said it could happen on the pamplet).

ilovecandy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Tetanus shots hurt like a sonofabitch. Hurts going and and hurts for days after. I hate that shot
wolfybaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:04 AM

i remember my first shot. i was 5 or 6. i already had a distaste for doctors after they strapped me down to put stitches on my face after the accident. i remember being really scared and my mom wasnt offering much support [she probably didnt want me to get it, but the doctor convinced her of the very real risk of tetanus due to the nature of the accident]..

thankfully i dont remember the pain, and i never had a reaction. i am certain that the shot i got was the tetanus immunoglobulin [aka "TIG"]..

never had a shot since.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:05 AM
its not really the pain\sting i consider awful. my kids do get some vaccines, but i dont consider that one a must have. what it protects against isnt what i consider life threatening in this day and age. if they did happen to get mumps etc, i feel they would be ok.

Quoting ninjakids:

My first calmed down within 30 seconds, my second was upset for about 2-3 minutes and then fine

Quoting Anonymous:

yo_ho
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I had an allergic reaction to the MMR shot. No more for me :) there was one shot I got that I couldn't move my arm for three days. Can't remember what it is anymore :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN