Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Watching language in public

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:26 AM
  • 27 Replies

DH and I took the boys, 2 1/2 and 14 months, to dinner at a local Mexican restaurant tonight because they have a live mariachi band on Wednesdays. With two small children, we eat out early, so we got there around 5:15. We were seated next to a rowdy table of 5 women, I would say late 30s or early 40s, with quite the collection of empty margarita glasses on the table. 

One woman in particular was cussing and otherwise saying things I would rather the two year old not hear yet. The first few times, one of her friends would say something to her or give her a look, and her responses to them were "I'm not in church," or "it's a free world."

i never said anything, or even looked their way, except when she asked the waitress, "How do you say 'let's all go home and masterbate' in Mexican."  I did, however, sit there and silently judge. There was a wait for tables or I would have asked to be moved. 

Do you watch your language around small children?  Or does anything go in public?  Would anyone have said something to her?  

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katemckenzie
by Kate on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:28 AM
Wow. She actually.asked how to say that in MEXICAN?!
sharonsolo
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:29 AM
I usually notice this from teens.
laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I have to do it everywhere on forums, at work, everywhere. My supervisor is watching me. I said "Holy butt mudd" today instead of "Holy, shit!" and he said,"Well, it did not fool God but it is better!"

sugieboogieboo
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep. That's when the judgement started. We tipped big for our poor waitress putting up with that. 

Quoting katemckenzie:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I read over that line a few times and thought "something isn't right" and then it hit me. But to answer your question OP, I do my absolute best to watch my language around children. I might have the occasional 'shit' if I drop something or injure myself, but I apologise immediately. My own children are used to me swearing, but I would NEVER subject anyone else's children to it.

Quoting katemckenzie:

Arwyn724
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:34 AM

We are not a swearing family, so we do not have to edit ourselves in public.  I hate it when other adults are not aware of little children who may be in earshot of their foul language.

Tammi4
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't swear so I don't ever have to watch what I say but yeah, I think people should refrain from swearing in front of children, at least.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wolfybaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:39 AM

i would have tried to be polite and say, "please, i know this is a public restaurant, but we are both stuck here now. could you mind your language for my toddler? he is a parrot."

and let what happens happen. 

i was at the store with my mom and daughter shopping a few weeks ago and this teenager with her siblings and mother were walking by us. the older girl stops, loudly yells "fuck! i think i- fuck! i forgot my cellphone, fuck!"

i am not kidding when i say she *yelled* this. this girl had to be only 13 or 14. my mother turned around and started to chew her out but the girl ran off. and her family immediately slinked away quickly, too. 

i wish people would mind their language. its good to have self-control, you know?

Coconutty4Hubby
by Cafe Goddess on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:40 AM
I do not watch my mouth around kids.

Children should be seen and not heard.

However, I am married and I would never confuse Spanish language for Mexican lol! But I understand how she was confused...
Danapopcorn
by AbbyCat on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Regardless of children around or not, I find it trashy and it reminds me of preteens trying to be cool and get attention. Which is why I refuse to give them any type of response.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN