Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My dd is obese.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
And I don't know what to do about it. She is about to turn 4 and is 49 lbs. her dad and I are both obese too and are working on it. She eats way better than I did as a kid and I wasn't fat. She eats fruits and veggies everyday. No koolaid or soda. She is very sedentary by nature and even if I run with her se just wants to sit and play. Outside she just sits and looks for bugs or plays in the dirt. She wants to try gymnastics but I have no way to get her there. Her dr didn't really help, just said it was a problem. I think she thought I was lying because I am fat too. I have a problem and I know it but I binge after my children are in bed. Any advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:16 AM
I'm not sure I have the opposite problem with my son he is way underweight, but I hope you find something that works for her. Good luck.
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:17 AM
Portion.control, calorie counting, make sure you all take vitamins, and of course you all need physical activity - try walking or.biking for an hour a day. Even something as simple as playing kick ball in the park or backyard
NinaB131415
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:19 AM
I think that she's 4 and her body is still going to be working out all the kinks for the next 5 or 6 years. My pedi said that it's hard to classify prepubescent children as under or overweight. I have a 36 pound almost 4 year old. You just have to make sure she's active and eating right. At 4 what else can you really do?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:20 AM
That's the interesting thing, my son is underweight too.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not sure I have the opposite problem with my son he is way underweight, but I hope you find something that works for her. Good luck.
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:21 AM
My 2 1/2 year old is 35 and isn't obese. Her pedi has never said a word about her weight.

Quoting NinaB131415:

I think that she's 4 and her body is still going to be working out all the kinks for the next 5 or 6 years. My pedi said that it's hard to classify prepubescent children as under or overweight. I have a 36 pound almost 4 year old. You just have to make sure she's active and eating right. At 4 what else can you really do?

tossed
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Portion control, exercise.  

I am obese.  When I was a kid, my  grandmother called me all sorts of names and had me thinking I was the biggest person on earth.  I look back now on the few photos and realize that I was NORMAL....so, don't bug her about her weight.  Watch what she eats at night.  Don't let her eat a lot late at night.  Encourage her to eat smaller amounts throughout the day. Get her dancing...get some dance vids and have her watch and dance with you.

NinaB131415
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:25 AM
I asked pedi because although DD is taller than most kids she's seems extremely thin. But she chalked it up to her height and weight trying to catch up to one another. She was 33 pounds at her 2 year check up.

Quoting nocalmegan:

My 2 1/2 year old is 35 and isn't obese. Her pedi has never said a word about her weight.

Quoting NinaB131415:

JJJMommyKris
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Try to have her do fun activities like a small trampoline, dancing as a family, bubble tag. Keep feeding her healthy and allow her to see you being a good example.
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:26 AM

My son weighed about the same at 4 and then started slimming down and gaining height. Now he is close to 6 foot at 18 and about 150 lbs, so pretty thin. I have to say I feel for moms now. When my kids were little unless a child was grossly overweight, baby fat and chunky was not considered a problem unless it lasted into the elementary school years. Every baby in our family is a chunk until they hit age 5 or so, with the exception of my petite middle DD and then they slim down and get legs for miles. We are all tall, slender adults.

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:27 AM
My dd is tall too. She's wearing 3-4t just for the length. Lol

Quoting NinaB131415:

I asked pedi because although DD is taller than most kids she's seems extremely thin. But she chalked it up to her height and weight trying to catch up to one another. She was 33 pounds at her 2 year check up.

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting NinaB131415:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)