Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you wear pajamas to take your kid to school?

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM
  • 314 Replies
4 moms liked this

I Wear Pajamas to Drop My Kids Off at School & I'm Not Ashamed

by Jacqueline Burt

pajamas

Every school year, I start out with the same good intentions: To NOT wear pajamas when I drop my kids off in the morning. Every September, I tell myself the same, sad lie: This year, I'll actually get dressed before I take them to school. In real clothes. With buttons, and zippers, and no elastic waistbands. Or cartoon characters. 

Yeah. Wanna know what I was wearing when I walked my son to third grade today? Homer Simpson pajama pants, a jack o' lantern t-shirt I've had for -- literally -- 26 years, and a puffy black winter jacket. And you wanna know why? Because I remembered something very important, something I remember and forget every year ...

Pajamas ARE real clothes. They are!! The dictionary even says so:

clothes n.pl. 1. garments for the body; articles of dress; wearing apparel. 2. bedclothes

See?? Pajamas may in fact be the truest item of clothing available! Not only are they "garments for the body," they're (sort of) "bedclothes!" Take that, judgy fancy moms!

Of course, that brings me to the real conflict I have with wearing pajamas to drop my kids off at school. It's not my the potential shame my kids might be feeling about having a mom who wears floral print boxer shorts and a Snoopy t-shirt and calls it an "outfit," it's the hot, glaring eyes of other mothers staring me and my lazy-ass fashion sense down. 

Now, the funny thing is, ordinarily I'm not the type who cares what other people think of me. At all. And it's not that I care if any other moms think I'm a horrible dresser -- it's the associated implication that my slovenly appearance means I'm somehow unfit to parent. She can't even dress herself! What must her house look like? (It looks like the house of someone who wears Homer Simpson pants outside, okay??)

But, then I remember the thing about pajamas being clothes, and how that means judgment boils down to personal taste, and how I want my kids to be true to themselves so that means I have to be true to myself and THAT means I have to wear pajamas to school.

And that's that.

Do you wear pajamas to take your kid to school?

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM
8 moms liked this

no im not a lazy ass.

Maxi_Maxi
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:32 AM
2 moms liked this
I wear pajamas everyday now because I'm pregnant and they're all that fits me right now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:32 AM
5 moms liked this

Yep. I don't get out of my car so I do sometimes, unless I am going somewhere right after taking them to school but that's not often. Why get dressed when I won't be seen and will just be going back to bed when I get home anyway?

SbnC
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:33 AM
No
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Lord, no I would never do that.

heathers5500
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Sometimes, if I'm running a little behind...but I don't have to get out of the car.

mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:35 AM
3 moms liked this
Pajamas? No. But, I do change into "comfies" which are sweats, tshirt, hoodie and either my TOMS or Uggs.
momto3B
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:35 AM

No. There was one day when we were REALLY late and I was tempted to just drop them off in my bathrobe and then I realized that even if I was not getting out of the car I could not do it. 

Lucky for me, because I brought 2 of my dogs with us and when I went to let the boys out curbside I accidently opened the door on the driveway side. My beagle jumped out and ran straight into the school!! A bit of chaos ensued as I chased her through the halls and into the gym before I caught her:)

Mom always said, wear clean underwear in case you get hit by a truck. I can now add, make sure you have acutaly clothing on before going to drop off!!

thetrollcat
by Meow on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

hellz ya!

heatherh610
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:36 AM
5 moms liked this
I do some days...with my coffee in hand! No big deal really and if any one cares to judge I challange them to get a life!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)