Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should she be held back a grade?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
My sister was telling me that she thinks she is going to make her dd repete the 4th grade. My sister got her tested early to go to school when she was in k. My sister kept her out of school yesterday because my neice was acting out in class the day before. She said she is way too immature to go in the 5th grade next year.

Yes my niece is 8 and she still likes mickey mouse, plays with dolls, and well she acts like a baby. She is theonly child and is very babied and spoiled. She still runs around the house naked and doesn't have any friends. My sister thinks keeping her in the 4th grade next year will mature her. I don't think it will but I'm not sure what to tell her.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Being academically ready is not the only part of school. Maybe it will help her, but maybe she has other problems that have not been diagnosed? The red flag being "doesn't have any friends". Age 8 is a very social time. It is odd that she has no friends from school at this age.

-42-
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I don't think school is the issue. It sounds like she's just a brat.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:11 AM
No kids are kids
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Her grades are good. Its just if she doesn't get her way she throws a fit. It was so bad the school called my sister and she had to pick her up

Quoting Anonymous:

Being academically ready is not the only part of school. Maybe it will help her, but maybe she has other problems that have not been diagnosed? The red flag being "doesn't have any friends". Age 8 is a very social time. It is odd that she has no friends from school at this age.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:17 AM
She needs to be evaluated for delays.

My son is in third grade, but his maturity level is more like a 1st grader.. While academically he's doing 6th grade work for math and language arts. He is an Aspie and isn't good at friendships or being in social situations.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I don't know. I homeschool my son, he is technically in the first or second grade. When he is in a group setting, I always make sure he is with the Kindergarteners. I wish he could be with the preschool age children because his brother is there and my son is socially and emotionally closer to a preschooler.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:19 AM
She acts more like 4 than 9.

Quoting Anonymous:

She needs to be evaluated for delays.

My son is in third grade, but his maturity level is more like a 1st grader.. While academically he's doing 6th grade work for math and language arts. He is an Aspie and isn't good at friendships or being in social situations.
JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:23 AM
The only issue I see is the acting out. At 8, playing with dolls and Mickey Mouse is, and should be, normal. If her grades are good she likely just needs more discipline and boundaries. I wouldn't hold a child back if they were doing well academically.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN