Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it wrong to dress your kids up as a Native American?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies
I have a friend who is from a tribe in NC as well as her husband. She posted on FB and said, "My heritage is not a costume! Please do not dress you or your children in my heritage this Halloween!" What do you think? Is she justified in feeling insulted or is she overly sensitive?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I think it's justified.
copperked
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:31 AM
I agree with her. I'm not a fan of using living cultures as entertainment. My dh won't even go to his tribe's pow wows because of all the disrespectful tourists.
KennyPooPoo22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Overly sensitive. My DD was going to be a native American Indian, suggested by her NA great grandmother who made her costume. But DD has blonde hair, like white blonde, so we are going with Tiger Lily from Peter Pan.
Now its way too cold for her costume so Cruela DeVil it with be, that is if we even go out, its raining :/
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I believe it's called "regalia"? Is that correct? It is only worn at the pow wows, correct?

Quoting copperked:

I agree with her. I'm not a fan of using living cultures as entertainment. My dh won't even go to his tribe's pow wows because of all the disrespectful tourists.

M0M0F03
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:35 AM
2 moms liked this

It's in fun, most aren't trying to be disrespectful, so why make it something it is not? People go as priests, nuns, witches...all kinds of things people could get offended over if they really wanted.

2Sparrows4ever
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this
She pretty much took the words right out of my mouth or from my finger tips LOL

Quoting M0M0F03:

It's in fun, most aren't trying to be disrespectful, so why make it something it is not? People go as priests, nuns, witches...all kinds of things people could get offended over if they really wanted.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Also, how do you feel about iconic people like Pochohontas or Sacagawea?

Quoting copperked:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Its just a costume...how do they feel if the kids are doing a thanksgiving play at school and had to dress up? It would be different if kids were going as a dead indian or something
lissadavis
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I think this pc s**t is just that, kids have costumes with a kilt, beret, lederhosen, clogs, exc. and we don't get to freak out, every one just needs to calm down.

Lilfootmommy
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Overly sensitive. My mom was full blood NA and it never bothered her
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)