Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Who decides on college?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 232 Replies
2 moms liked this

You or your kids?  Personally I do not feel it is my decision  to make, as it is a commitment they  must make for themselves.  When I hear parents referring to it as a requirement, I can't help but wonder why?  Education equals money.  This is what I get from this line of thinking.  It is no longer about being a well-rounded individual with the knowledge of many things.  I think that's sad.  How many times do you hear, "she went to school for four years, earned a degree and never uses it because she's a SAHM."  Shouldn't the journey be important?  The knowledge she  acquired? 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:11 PM

BUMP

WillowRayne
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:14 PM
It was a joint decision.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Parents should encourage their kids to go to college. Some kids decide after 13 years of school, they don't want to do anymore and regret it later on. College can be a valuable time to learn other things not just academic material. 

That being said, there are some children that should not go to college. They are successful in other ways. Parents need to recognize this as well and help them achieve goals that are suitable for them. 

catrig
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM
It should be up to the child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

MY adult kids decide where they want to go and I pay for it

Livigirlsmom322
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM
My girls will decide for themselves. I'm not going to spend a fortune for them to go & then flunk out because they don't want to be there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Thanks...you know I agree.  lol

Quoting catrig:

It should be up to the child.

An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:17 PM
It will be up to my children, but I expect them to not have their first choice school reject them for any reason. So they may not want to go to college, but I will expect them to get good grades if they change their mind.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Can you imagine spending all that money and her/him coming home?  Talk about money blown to hell.

Quoting Livigirlsmom322:

My girls will decide for themselves. I'm not going to spend a fortune for them to go & then flunk out because they don't want to be there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:18 PM

College is a great experience and should be strongly encouraged from a young age.   But it cannot be forced.  Just the "you can live here or I can help you out if you go to college, but if you don't then you are on your own"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)