Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SAHM: YOU NEED TO GET A JOB

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 245 Replies
5 moms liked this

First off, you dont have to be a birth mom in order to be a mother. Raising a child makes you parent. Last night for dinner my husband and I announce we were expecting again. We already have three children. I am a SAHM. My husband and I believes that is best for OUR family. It saves us money. I had bad experience with daycare growing up. My mother was a working mom. I always felt like I never got to see her growing up. I was in daycare from 6am to 6pm. MON-SAT. Even once I arrived in grad school I still was in after school programs, and daycare in the mourning. My daycare provider took me and my sister too school. My mother picked us up from school one time. I never want that for my child. I want to my child to have more time with me as a mom. My  husband grew up the same way. He was left home alone starting at the age of nine. His mother never went to one of his football games because she was working. 

Anyways, at dinner my MIL says in response to our announcement, "You know that means you need to get a job." 

If I didnt love my husband I would have smacked her. I kindly told her that is a decision between my husband and I. And please dont talk to me like a child in front of my children.

Of coarse that killed the jolly moment at the dinner table, and it was weird for the rest of the night. 

Was my response disrespectful?

I wasnt expecting this to turn into a mom war. Im only speaking of how my and husband  came to the decision to raise our children. I can only speak on how daycare was like for me growing up. I dont apologize for feeling like my mother didn't have enough time for me. There should be a BALANCE when being a working a mom. Thats one of the reasons why I left my previous job to be home with my kids.

Sacrifice. Everymom sacrifice. Being a SAHM is a sacrifice. My career is being placed on hold but its worth it to me. I rather provide daily care for my child other than strangers. Plus being abused by daycare providers growing up has made it hard for me to trust any of them. Not saying there arent any good ones. But I know by experience a mother cant see what they do when she is not there.. My point with my mother working is that it drained her to the point she had nothing left for her children emotionally. Money is important but not the only thing needed

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:51 AM

bump

momofhnd
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:53 AM
5 moms liked this
No.. and its none if her damn business if yall have more kids..
CrossStitchMum
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry mama. She sounds like the life of the party....Not!!!! And congrats on the little one :)
clownhater
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:56 AM

What a bitch! Husband be dern..I'd have knocked her dentures down her throat. My ILs are jerks like that. They've cooled it since I laid down the law, however. 

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:56 AM
11 moms liked this

I think your response was a bit overboard. She didn't call you a lazy welfare mom and declare you unfit. She has an opinion that you may need to find employment and your response is not to talk to you like that in front of the kids? Is job a bad word?  Or the suggestion that women can work something you wish to not tell the kids? We are fine with me being at home would have been a better response.

nelliesmommy
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this
No. She was rude.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:58 AM
4 moms liked this

Its the fact she was telling me what to do, and plus I wasnt asking her opinion. No JOB isnt a bad word, because MY JOB is being the primary caregiver for our children. I didnt raise my voice, and I am an adult. I think the respectable thing she should have done was mind her business.

Quoting sheramom4:

I think your response was a bit overboard. She didn't call you a lazy welfare mom and declare you unfit. She has an opinion that you may need to find employment and your response is not to talk to you like that in front of the kids? Is job a bad word?  Or the suggestion that women can work something you wish to not tell the kids? We are fine with me being at home would have been a better response.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:59 AM

oh my.

Quoting clownhater:

What a bitch! Husband be dern..I'd have knocked her dentures down her throat. My ILs are jerks like that. They've cooled it since I laid down the law, however. 

Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this
How can you even ask if you were disrespectful? She was rude and doesn't even deserve respect anyway. But for the record, you did what's considered healthy. You stood up for yourself in a firm but tactful way ( at least it sounds that way from what you describe. )
SassyMom25
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Does she have no reason to think that might be a good idea? When does the cost outweigh the savings, kwim?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN