Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Worst tantrum ever. I feel like a failure and humiliated

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 102 Replies
Where to begin. My dd 5 year old was invited to a birthday party. I told dd and her sister (4 years) we would go to the store to get a toy for her friend but just the friend, not them, which they were fine with.

Well we get to the store and pick out a few toys. Then dd 4 starts whining for a toy. After a long day I decide to give in and tell dd 4 and dd5 they each have a $5 limit and tell them what toys are $5 or less. Well dd4 says all those toys are ugly and starts to cry, which then leads dd5 to whine.

I give them a warning and tell them if they don't stop we will go and no bday party tomorrow. They don't listen so I put the toys back and tell them we are leaving.

Dd 4 started to freak out (kicking, screaming, etc) She was in the cart so whatever, but then dd5 starts freaking out, too so I put her in the cart.

We got near the exit, and dd5 literally jumps out of the cart and grabs a pole that is before the exit. She starts screaming that I need to get her and her friend a toy and that I'm a terrible mom. I struggle to get her death grip off the pole, but then she kicks, screams at the top of her lungs, and twists on the floor, all while a HUGE crowd of people watch me.

This girl is strong. I seriously struggled 10 minutes to get her in the cart. The store associate even had to help me.

Dh was at work,and I take them to the store all the time by myself. Dd 4 can be fussy sometimes, but dd 5 is a poster child. She NEVER really throws tantrums, especially in public, so honestly I didn't know how to handle the situation. Needless to say, I un-rsvp'd that party and explained to dd 5 why she can't go.

She did apologize (she said she was so angry and just couldn't control it). I appreciate that she admitted this, but I'm sticking to my guns. However, I feel like a failure. Plus, I have NEVER been so humiliated in my life. What happened to my sweet little girl?

:(

EDIT

Thanks for everyone's replies, most were extremely helpful. I will point out that I don't believe spanking would have helped the sitation at all, and spanking is something I avoid. I think I was wrong to offer a toy to begin with, but leaving the store and not taking her to the party was the best cobsequence for the behavior. I feel much better about how I handled this situation so thanks everyone!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bcauseimthemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM
8 moms liked this

You are not a failure... our children embarass us all at one time or another. None of us are perfect and children are unpredictable.

I commend you for sticking to your guns.

anthleesmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

sugieboogieboo
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I think every mom needs to go through the huge, humiliating public tantrum at least once. I hate when I hear, "my child knows how to act in public, he/she would never do that."  Kids don't always know how to reign in emotion. It happens. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Thank you. I just wish I knew the cause of this behavior and how to handle it in the future. There has got to be an easier way...

Quoting bcauseimthemom:

You are not a failure... our children embarass us all at one time or another. None of us are perfect and children are unpredictable.

I commend you for sticking to your guns.

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Im sorry. I can only imagine
April620
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Wow I'm so scared for what I'm in for lol my dd is only one and she has started throwing tantrums in the last week where she throws herself backward in a fit of fury when you go to pick her up while she's in the middle of playing with something or going after something. I think you handled the situation the best you could and its all over now, besides I'm sure all those people had kids or at least nieces and nephews so they know how it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I would have swatted that ass!
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Kids are so much fun at times...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Well I will never say that again because I know it's not true.

Quoting sugieboogieboo:

I think every mom needs to go through the huge, humiliating public tantrum at least once. I hate when I hear, "my child knows how to act in public, he/she would never do that."  Kids don't always know how to reign in emotion. It happens. 

prissy4boys
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM

i agree you are not a failure, i have 4 boys, and believe me i've had my share of moments, all why dh is at work, lol i too take them alone many times.  You did the right thing :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)