Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh, DH, you're giving him a complex

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

So my son, he's got a listening problem. He's four, it isnt shocking. He also like to use the computer, and always "forgets" to ask. I'm working on that. But I feel DH has taken it too far. Maybe not, I'll ask your opinion. Im sorry if im not concise

Im outside with the dog this morning, and DS comes running outside crying. "Im so sorry for x-ing out of your stuff mom" and carrying my tablet. I thought he'd broken it for crying out loud the way he was blubbering on about it. I told him, when I figured out what happened that him xing out of my stuff wasnt the problem, it was him using it without asking. And that he needed to go sit in time out for not asking permission. That if he'd wanted to play with a tablet he needed to use his own (with safety locks and all that, *side note* it was a gift/handmedown from his grandfather before anyone jumps on me for buying a tablet for a four year old)

He also had a fit yesterday because he jumped on the computer and exited out of cafemom while I was making dinner. Again, that isnt the issue, it is that he doesnt ask permission. I explained that to him and he had a time out for not asking permission, but I told him what it was for and explained that I could get back into what I was doing, but he didnt ask permission and that was the problem. 

He's doing this because DH plays online fighting games and DH will freak out majorly if anyone gets near his (well, its MINE, but he's commandeereed it) laptop and once (maybe more, but once while I was here) DS got on there and exited out of his game and wanted to type. (DH was outside smoking, then planning to do some stuff around the house, he wasnt planning on using it again for a bit) DH sent him to time out and then upstairs and was screaming at him for several minutes, specifically for x-ing out of the game, til I was finally able to interject and be like WTF is your problem, I had told him he could for a minute and *I* assumed since DH wasnt using the computer we could exit out. He had asked permission!!!! 

I am well aware that DS should ask permission before he gets on our devices or the computers. But it isnt something he needs to freak out about, and DH is making it something he feels like he should be overly sorry for. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abecee
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Grown men who are so seriously into those games disgust me, honestly.  It's a game its a fucking game...he can play it 1000 times its a game. (this is the same thing I tell my children when they start whining about game time)....ITS A GAME, grown the hell up

ramita
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Yea, that's not something he should be punished for. The getting on without permission definitely is, but not the exiting out of stuff. If something is so important you don't want it exited out of either save it so it won't hurt anything or minimize it so it won't effect what someone else does.
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I dont understand why people freak out over video games.

my husband doesnt usually but the other night he was playing some game and my cat accidentally bumped the sensor for the eject button on the x-box. GOOD LORD. dh went juts yelling at the cat and about the cat. it was so stupid. he sounded like our 5yr old when something goes wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I dont understand why people freak out over video games.

my husband doesnt usually but the other night he was playing some game and my cat accidentally bumped the sensor for the eject button on the x-box. GOOD LORD. dh went juts yelling at the cat and about the cat. it was so stupid. he sounded like our 5yr old when something goes wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM

exactly, if I am working on something important I will save it then lock the computer, even if its just to pee or get a drink. If Im just screwing around on the internet i dont really give a hoot.

Quoting ramita:

Yea, that's not something he should be punished for. The getting on without permission definitely is, but not the exiting out of stuff. If something is so important you don't want it exited out of either save it so it won't hurt anything or minimize it so it won't effect what someone else does.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Why not just keep it out of his reach if you don't want him on it?

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Between the games and the smoking, I lost all respect. 

Quoting abecee:

Grown men who are so seriously into those games disgust me, honestly.  It's a game its a fucking game...he can play it 1000 times its a game. (this is the same thing I tell my children when they start whining about game time)....ITS A GAME, grown the hell up

beco8627
by Silver Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM
The poor kid is so freaked out about x-ing out of things....why don't y'all just minimize when leaving the computer? Problem solved. Or here is a better idea. X out and turn it off....or an even better idea, keep it out of his reach. He's 4. He's going to forget to ask.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Why not just keep it out of his reach if you don't want him on it?

keep the computers out of his reach? LOL...

as far as my tablet and stuff like that goes. He has his own, he is four years old and plenty old enough to know not to use it withough permission. I will not keep my things up high because my son needs to learn how to ask. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Quoting beco8627:

The poor kid is so freaked out about x-ing out of things....why don't y'all just minimize when leaving the computer? Problem solved. Or here is a better idea. X out and turn it off....or an even better idea, keep it out of his reach. He's 4. He's going to forget to ask.

He needs to learn how to ask. He is four, he's old enough to start remembering.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured