Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/o step-children post... Did you have a step-Parent? You know you want to READ ME, even if you don't have step-kids or step-parents!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 55 Replies
So her question asked if you had step kids and if you loved them as much as your own kids. Most of you answered yes and no you didn't love tem as much as your biological kids.

My question to you, is if you had a step parent, and if you could feel that your step-mom or step-dad loved their real kids more than they loved you?

I always thought my step-dad loved his real kids, he treated us sooooooooo much differently, he was nicer to them, never disciplined him, they lived with their mom, while I lived with him all my life.
I know now, I'm 26, that I was wrong in thinking that, he was just harder on me, my mom and even dad tell me all the time that he loves me more and considers me his real child (I don't call him step-dad, he is my Dad).
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Sometimes I do believe he did. Most times no.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

My mom re-married when I was an adult, they met right before he had to deploy to Iraq. He came back with PTSD and treated her badly, there is no proof but there is no doubt in my mind that he beat her as well. My brothers were 17 and 13 then, he didn't care much for them either. He had been a bachelor up into his 40's, I have no clue why he married a woman with kids. He looked at my brothers as a burden, that man is not our step-anything. He's Dave. The guy our mom married after divorcing our dad.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
My situation with my step dad was different. He came around when I was a baby,not 6 like I was to my sdd,iI also lived with him and had no other father figure,so he got to make the rules.

Do/did I think he lived my sister,his one bio child,more? Yes,but he loved her in different ways, we were polar opposites. She was more like him and I was more like my mother.

No matter what situation. Patents love each child different,andbthere will always be one time they bond with or "love" another child more.
I have 3 bio boys and don't love them all the same
luvmykidsJC
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I think in your situation, he probably felt like he was helping to raise you but no really his own kids which is why he didn't discipline them.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Neither of my step-parents have their own kids and I am an only child.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Well, as my steps made no bones about singling me out for their abuse, yes, i could tell.  And as an adult I chose to never date someone with kids, because I had already had enough step family drama to last a lifetime. Between having to pretend to respect my step parents, and pretend to care abotu my half and step siblings, I was completely done pretending to give a shit about people I had no desire to be around or pretend to care for by the age of 16.

Let me put it this way. If either of my step parents were on fire, and I had a fire extinguisher, I would trade the extinguisher for marshmallows.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I was raised by my step-grandfather. He was my real grandfather and my real father. I had absolutely no relationship with my "real" grandfather.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM

i see NPC's parenting with guilt and lighter hands than they would kids living under foot.  so seems like he catered to thim, it was more than likely the easier way to deal with the situation.

you got treated different because the dynamic was different.  in the end, you probably have the better relationship.  

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I know my step-dad loved me as much as his kids because he adopted me, never once refereed to me as his step daughter and wouldn't let anyone else either. 

Today is his 76th Birthday! I love him very much. 

”Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age.” - Dr. Seuss. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN