Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My kids are NOT the center of my world!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 65 Replies
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:08 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Neither are mine, but, my granddaughter will be 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM

why? and did you read the  blog?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
If I could, I'd begin a slow clap. She's right. And, this site is good for 'modern parents.' Good read. Thanks for sharing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM

My pleasure :) 

Quoting Anonymous:

If I could, I'd begin a slow clap. She's right. And, this site is good for 'modern parents.' Good read. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM

What do you mean why, why what? Why not? And no, I gave my answer based on your title :p  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope, mine aren't either.

They're grown now, but when they were smaller, I was criticized for not bringing forgotten items to school.  Not making all their snacks and such when they were 10.  Not picking out their clothes for them.  Making them put away their own laundry starting at about 3 (i would separate it, and say, put these with the shirt and so on).  For letting them do their homework on their own - and turn in wrong answers.

Basically - for giving the freedom to fail - and to learn from those failures.  Was it sad?  Yes.  Could it have been prevented if I did things for them?  Sure.  Do I regret not doing those things?   Not a bit!  They're grown (or mostly there now).  College graduates who fully support themselves (ages 31 and 23), and in college (19 and 20).  They are independent, curious, hard working, and self sufficient.  Able to travel on their own.  Able to make friends on their own.  Able to listen to criticism and not fall apart.  Know that I won't bail them out of bad decisions.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Awesome!  That is how I am raising my kids.  I want to raise selfsufficient successful adults.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Nope, mine aren't either.

They're grown now, but when they were smaller, I was criticized for not bringing forgotten items to school.  Not making all their snacks and such when they were 10.  Not picking out their clothes for them.  Making them put away their own laundry starting at about 3 (i would separate it, and say, put these with the shirt and so on).  For letting them do their homework on their own - and turn in wrong answers.

Basically - for giving the freedom to fail - and to learn from those failures.  Was it sad?  Yes.  Could it have been prevented if I did things for them?  Sure.  Do I regret not doing those things?   Not a bit!  They're grown (or mostly there now).  College graduates who fully support themselves (ages 31 and 23), and in college (19 and 20).  They are independent, curious, hard working, and self sufficient.  Able to travel on their own.  Able to make friends on their own.  Able to listen to criticism and not fall apart.  Know that I won't bail them out of bad decisions.

anotherhalf
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Great blog. I totally agree. My son comes home claiming he was bullied and then when we get the whole story its just not. Its just kids being kids. I have to help him unlearn the crap school is teaching him about that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM

why will your granddaughter be the center of your world but your kids arent?.....the answer you gave solely based on my title has no meaning then lol

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you mean why, why what? Why not? And no, I gave my answer based on your title :p  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN