Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it weird that I still have DD in an infant carseat?

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  • 419 Replies

She is 13 months and very tiny. She is 20.2 lbs and pretty short. The weight limit on her infant carseat is 35lbs. It is just more convenient, because if she falls asleep in the car I can just bring her with me when I am running errands without her waking up.

But I had my sister in law, who just had her first, say, "Wow I can't believe you still have her in that thing... Don't you think it's time for an upgrade?" 

And I noticed all of my mom friends had their babies in big kid car seats by 9 months. WTF? They are making me feel like the clueless parent.

So when did you upgrade? I am still rear facing and planning to do so for as long as possible. 

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I bought dd a convertible seat she was 18 months old. She was 13 lbs at a year old. And 15 at 2.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM
We got a convertible by the time ds was 4 months but he was super tall and I know the weight limits were probably lower 7 years ago lol. My brothers daughter is still in an infant Carseat and she is 8 months.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM
24 moms liked this
If she's within the limits on the car seat, you are doing great Momma and don't let others make you feel otherwise. I've always had bigger babies, I think mine were all out of the carrier by the time they were 9/10 months. But like you, I missed it.
3MusketeerMama
by EmmaRye Pie on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM
12 moms liked this

As long as she isn't too tall for it (her head needs to be below the edge by at least an inch or two if I remember correctly) than she is fine. A rear facing infant seat is more protective than a convertible seat so if she meets all the criteria for fitting then I think she is fine and you are making a good choice.

Heisenberg
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I got convertibles at 9 months for my daughter and 7 months for my son.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I think as long as she's under the weight limit and her legs and head aren't hanging over the edge, she is good where you have her. 

worstofweather
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, how tiny!! I guess my little one is not as tiny as I thought she was. But it is nice to know that I am not the only one!

Quoting LaughCryLive:

I bought dd a convertible seat she was 18 months old. She was 13 lbs at a year old. And 15 at 2.

.Bad.Wolf.
by Morsmordre on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I think it's fine as long as she isn't too big for it. My kids got big, pretty fast. They HAD to be switched to a bigger seat.

xredstarsx
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM
If she still fits then why not keep using it? My dd was in a convertible rear facing by a year but I think my son will stay in his infant seat longer because he has a seat with higher limits.
jb0520
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM
3 moms liked this
It's totally fine. Theres a weight limit not an age limit, stupid people!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN