Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Being forced to get vaccinated Edit again ****edit last time!!****!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 346 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

This is seemingly the new trend in the healthcare field, vaccinate or get fired. I'm not saying I won't get vaccinated or underestimate the importance of flu vaccines when in direct patient care but somewhere this seems like it violates some personal rights. Just curious what the cm thoughts are??? Do you get the flu shot would you???

I'll try to respond to any questions, though I am going annon because it deals with my place of work.

EDIT:I'm not saying I won't or don't want to get the vaccine, I'm just surprised at the approach their taking, also makes me wonder what will they make mandatory next? H1n1, hep vaccine? I more so feel like it is a lead way into more forceful tactics. This is causing a real stir at my place of work and a bit of a ethical dilemma imo.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT AGAIN PLEASE READ...

WOW I checked my notifications and I had 99+ got busy came back and 99+ more, obviously I am not going to be able to answer everyone, though I will try. I wanted to add as some still seem confused in my reasons for posting.

1)As stated above it's not the flu vaccine itself it's the ethical dilemma behind it and the if they can do this what else can they do?? I have had the flu vaccine in the past and been without it. Either way.it did not make a difference for me at that time

2)For those going into the medical field obviously the requirements have changed since I was last in nursing school, if you are in the medical field then you know things are changing constantly, so no when I became a nurse I never imagined we would be expected to be vaccinated and not have more of a choice. I had no titer, flu vaccine, in nursing school or in the first few yrs of nursing.

3)And most importantly the one I failed to mention, in our facility all our patients are offered a flu shot and the pneumonia vaccine at time of admission and yearly (every four for the pneumonia vaccine. That being said wether I do or don't vaccinate myself the patients still have the opportunity of protecting themselves. It has been a few yrs 6+ since I worked in the hospital but it was common procedure their as well as in home health. I can see if your taking care of an infant who can't be vaccinated or a situation similar to that. make sense??

Oh and one more thing, if the patients are offered the vaccine then is it really a matter of companies protecting the patients or more the cost of having sick employees calling in sick and the companies losing money??? If this is the case I would expect vaccines and things like this to go more main stream into other type workforces too...just thinking...
That's all I can add for right now, sorry for spelling I'm mobile. Hope this gives a little more food for thought and insight. I'm not bashing anyone's beliefs on vaccinations being right or wrong just such an uproar at our work it left me wondering, what would others do and how do they feel about it??

Edit Again Last time!!!!!!!!

For those of you that think I was going to give the flu everyone, and failed to see the point I was making....you can rest now....I got my flu shot!!!

This was about the ethical side of it, not the all vaccines are bad...don't vax! It's about it should be your choice and your right to decide either way!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
opal10161973
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:11 AM
5 moms liked this

ANOTHER reason that I quit working as a nurse.  The list just keeps getting longer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Bump
omm76002
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM
9 moms liked this

Ughh just because it is against your religion doesn't mean  your in organized religion!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Sad, but I'm starting to think the same thing.:(

Quoting opal10161973:

ANOTHER reason that I quit working as a nurse.  The list just keeps getting longer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM
16 moms liked this

It's definitely not a new thing. If you work in a field where giving someone the flu could kill them, you should be vaccinated.

JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM
2 moms liked this

That is a huge violation of rights. Be Rosa Parks. Don't obey their unjust demands. Nobody, has a right to force you to do anything with your body and your health.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM
idk, im so on the fence honestly. i think it should really only be mandatory if you work in direct patient care and should be MADE CLEAR when a position is offered. i personally do not get a flu shot (i cant see ur pic cuz im on my shitty phone) my kids are selectively vaxxed and when they are adults they may mke the choice to get the vaccinations they are missing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Surprisingly enough, after some research it is actually legal. Loopholes in the system, expect in three states where your not hired at will or in a union

Quoting JackieGirl007:

That is a huge violation of rights. Be Rosa Parks. Don't obey their unjust demands. Nobody, has a right to force you to do anything with your body and your health.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM
3 moms liked this

I would just have my doctor, with the appropriate letterhead (ha ha), write me a note excusing my taking of this particular shot.  The one and only time i got one, i was so sick for 2 weeks after we said never again.  No one in the family gets it.

opal10161973
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM
2 moms liked this

It's getting ridiculous.  It really is.  The big system here won't even let you use ANY form of nicotine either- not patches or ecigs or gum.  I'll just take my ecig to another career, thank you.  I am beginning to think that I got out just in time. 

I would do my best to make sure my DR wrote me a note.  No WAY would I get the shot.  I have autoimmune disorders.  They make me sick every time I get a flu shot.  It's probably not the flu, but it makes me susceptible for other illnesses because of the drain on my immune system. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Sad, but I'm starting to think the same thing.:(

Quoting opal10161973:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)