Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Strep or mono??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

Starting last night my throat started to hurt on one side and I thought maybe I got a piece of popcorn stuck in my tonsil (y'know, the piece that is the outer part of it?) and didn't think anything of it. It got steadily worse as the night went on.

I got home about 20 minutes ago and took a flashlight and looked at my throat. The tonsil on that side is swollen and dark red and has a white lesion on it and OMG it hurts like a bitch when I swallow :(

I googled it and according to WebMD it could be Mono or Strep but I don't have a fever.

I don't have insurance to go to the doc and get tests or meds so what can I do? Any home remedies??

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Please help!

I don't know anything about either disease/illness and I'm worried.

My SO has been exposed to mono through a girl in one of his college classes, could I have gotten it from him?

I don't know if I've been exposed to strep but I work at an assisted living facility so I have no clue what I've been around.

ProudMommaBear
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM
My dd is 10mo and just got strep, you don't have to have a fever to be sick with something, it's just sometimes a symptom. Dd didn't have any signs besides a really raspy voice that wouldn't go away with Tylenol. So we brought her to urgent care and yup she has strep.
ProudMommaBear
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Just go to the doctor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM
You need to see a doc. If it's strep you need antibiotics. :( Ive had both...mono just goes away, strep doesn't.
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Do you have a minor med. Sounds like you could need an antibiotic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathers5500
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Mono and step are both very contagious. And you will need antibiotics. If it's mono you will be so tired all you will want to do is sleep
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I work third shift so I feel like that all the time anyways. I have noticed the last 3 days I've wanted to sleep more but I don't know if it's because of being sick.

Quoting heathers5500:

Mono and step are both very contagious. And you will need antibiotics. If it's mono you will be so tired all you will want to do is sleep

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM

It probably isn't mono, mono makes you extremely weak, tired and you run an extremely high fever and need immediate medical care. 

Strep throat is another thing that needs IMMEDIATE medical care, you HAVE to have an antibiotic. Strep that is left untreated can lead to a lot of other very serious illnesses and sometimes death. 

Either way, you are in for a trip to the ER or Walk in clinic. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I can't afford that :(

Local walk-in clinic requires payment up front and the ER charges out the wazoo.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

It probably isn't mono, mono makes you extremely weak, tired and you run an extremely high fever and need immediate medical care. 

Strep throat is another thing that needs IMMEDIATE medical care, you HAVE to have an antibiotic. Strep that is left untreated can lead to a lot of other very serious illnesses and sometimes death. 

Either way, you are in for a trip to the ER or Walk in clinic. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM

if  you had mono, all your lymph nodes would be swollen too...you'd feel achy, no energy, and a high temp...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)