Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE! My daughter is going to get us kicked out of our apartment!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 332 Replies
1 mom liked this

Update:

So I see this post has been bumped back up. So I guess I will update you all because a decent amount of things have happened. We are still in the same apartment. My neighbors next door moved out and believe it or not, the new neighbors are even noisier than my dd. Lol She lets her 2 year old run in the hallway at all hours of the night screaming at the top of her lungs. Lol

But anyways, dd had a med check and we have added an afternoon dose of her focalin. It does seem to be helping. But some days it doesn't help much. I have figured out dds sleeping problems! She had a sleep study done and she has RLS. So before bed she takes a bath and I give her legs a massage with calming lotion. That seems to help with that. But the biggest thing I figured out, was that she had sensory issues with her sheets! Regular sheets felt cold and scratchy to her. So I got her flannel sheets. The soft fabric is perfect for her! I also limited her to picking 1 stuffed animal instead of having a bunch in bed with her. She sleeps SOOOOOO much better now! She's even sleeping through the night most nights, and doesn't try to sleep in my room anymore!

I did end up cleaning out her room of all her toys. I put them all in my apartment storage locker. She is earning them back 1 by 1 by having good behaviors, and she has to be respectful. She also has to clean her room every day and help mommy out with simple chores. It has been a rocky road. But she's starting to get the hang of it. I've also realized that she seemed to get too overwhelmed with having a bunch of toys in her room. So having the few that she has earned back is working well. And she is starting to take care of her toys and not throw them around.

There are days where she still tantrums. But its getting better. She has made good progress and I am SO proud of her. When she does get into something she shouldnt and makes a mess, she is the one who has to clean it up, and then she loses a toy and has to earn it back. She's realizing that there are consequences for her actions and that mom isnt playing around.

So I am hoping for continued progress! I am also saving up money for one of those weighted blankets because I REALLY think that would help her a lot too.

I'm noy sure if anything can fix this, or if its more like a well needed vent...

My almost 7 year old daughter is most likely going to get us kicked out of our apartment. She has severe ADHD (she takes 15mg of Focalin daily), mild ODD, and she also has SPD.

So given all of that, she is a VERY loud child. Constant noise all day every day. It never stops. She even makes noise in her sleep. She bounces around, stomps, twirls, claps super loud, bangs her hands on the walls, snaps her fingers, talks loudly, makes these weird screaming noises, runs instead of walks, trys to do cart wheels, sings. ANYTHING to make noise.

She does NOT have autism or anything like that. Shes been tested for all of that kind of stuff. Her brain just constantly needs to be stimulated so she does these things constantly and goes from one thing to the next. The med helps her focus for school but wears off very early in the day. She has a doc apt this week for a med check.

Then there are the tantrums. These aren't your regular 2 year old tantrums. These are full blown hour long tantrums where she throws things, bangs her head into the wall, hits herself, bites, screams at the top of her lungs tantrums. 2 weeks ago the new neighbors next to us called the cops on us during one of her tantrums because they had no idea what was going on over here.

I tell her at least 100 times a day to be quiet and be respectful of others. To walk and not run. So try and sit still. I get her outside a ton to play and run around, we exercise, she's in activites. NOTHING helps. When she won't listen or tantrums very badly she does get punished. She gets timeouts, things taken away, added chores, early bedtime, and a swat over her clothed bottom. I am consistant with punishment.

But literally nothing works. Our neighbors below us and all around us complain to the landlord that dd is way too loud. I don't know what to do to stop this! I tell her to quiet down and 2 seconds later she's back to being loud again. Just this morning she woke up at 5am and ran down the hallway and was stomping. She was stomping around in her room and throwing her toys around her room. AT 5AM!!!

I just know that if something doesn't change soon, all the complaints will get us kicked out of here! I'm at a loss because nothing works or helps. I'm exhausted from barely sleeping (she wakes me up at least 5 times a night). She's having a sleep study done soon. The constant noise is seriously also getting to me. I have no one to help. I'm a completely single parent.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
laparla
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM
15 moms liked this
Perhaps a proper spanking, rather than a "swat over the clothed bottom" is what's needed. At the very least, I do not think it's honest to say you've tried everything if you refuse to try that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Hugs. Talk to her doc about having a full evaluation done. Maybe having a ot help out with sensory input throughout the day. Good luck.
leakymommy2
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow, I'm sorry mama. Maybe just talk to your neighbors and let them know what's going on.mthen talkto your landlord. Tell them "I know my dd can be disruptive and I'm sorry for that. Is there any apartments available on the bottom floor? Maybe one with a shared walled with someone who has kids?" 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM
14 moms liked this
Its not behavioral so spanking will not help. Unless of course you want to teach her how to be violent.

Quoting laparla:

Perhaps a proper spanking, rather than a "swat over the clothed bottom" is what's needed. At the very least, I do not think it's honest to say you've tried everything if you refuse to try that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM
5 moms liked this
It sounds like you aren't apartment people.

Move into something more private.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
That would just make it worse.smh

Quoting laparla:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Hmm. She sounds a lot like my dd and she has adhd and autism. Has she been evaluated by someone who specializes in diagnosing autism? I don't know what to tell you about the neighbors. You're brave to try an apartment. I would never with my dd because of how loud she is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I would think you would have some protection as you could get paper work on a showing prof of a disability. Talk to you landlord about an apartment move when possible, bottom floor in a corner.
justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM
5 moms liked this
What kind of diet does she have? Have you tried eliminating dyes and/or gluten?
anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM
14 moms liked this

you need a house. Where you wont be disruptive to your neighbors. I'm sorry but I sympathize way more with your poor neighbors than either of you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN