Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this a Jewish stereotype?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I was talking to my (Jewish) therapist about how greedy family members descended like vultures when my grandmother died. He mentioned that, coming from a Jewish family, he knew what that was like. Is being greedy vultures after death a common Jewish stereotype?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Replies (191-195):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Oh please. I like Jewish people just fine. She was going on about how they help each other in their community and I just pointed out that others don't get to see the generosity (because they mostly help each other). I never said it was a bad thing.

Quoting blue123244:

you can always tell the Jew haters even when they try to cover it up ("Jewish people mostly help other Jews")

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe some non jews believe the stereotype because Jewish people mostly help other Jews.

Quoting momto2boys973:
Quoting TableforSeven:

As if I didn't already know how generous Jewish people usually are....when we moved to Israel last year and for the first few weeks only had the items we could fit in our suitcases on the airplane with us.  We had total strangers bring us mattresses, food, blankets - give us rides anywhere we needed to go, have us for meals, etc. And none of them wanted anything in return.  In fact, when I said to a few that we would have them for a meal once we were settled to repay their kindness, many of them seemed insulted.  

Quoting momto2boys973:
Quoting TableforSeven:

Being greedy is a stereotype of Jewish people.  Being Jewish myself and seeing how my (Jewish) friends live as well...it is FAR from the truth for most of us.

I agree. The amount if money my community gives away to help others is amazing. We're big on charity and good acts. I remember after my C-sections I didn't have to cook a meal for a month! The synagogue ladies bought me breakfast, lunch and dinner every day so I could recover. ThT's what we do whenever a member of the community is sick. My sons' yeshivah requires them to bring money for charity every day to give away before praying. And I actually just pay half the tuition because that's what I can pay and they get money from the community for scholarships.

Yeah... How disgustingly greedy we are...

Not to mention Israel as a country itself. Pretty much every other country- the U.S being one of the harshest- do anything to keep immigrants out. No, they can't come and "steal our jobs", or enjoy anything "paid by my tax dollars!" And yet Israel opens its doors, provides help, tax breaks, free classes to learn the language, money to keep you up while you settle, free education and medicine and all that paid with tax payer's money who are delighted to be able to help new immigrants get home.

Greedy, greedy, greedy...

So? Charity starts at home. Christian charities mostly help Christians, Muslim charities mostly help Muslims.

But anyone who uses that as an excuse to promote a nasty, false stereotype has very selective knowledge. Check out "102 Minutes that Changed America", a 9/11 documentary from the History Channel. In several scenes you can see the volunteers from Hatzolah (a Jewish rescue and paramedic organization) going in to help people, risking their lives to save others and I can guarantee you they weren't checking for a bris or a WIZO card before helping someone.

In my country, our community's help organization is well known. We've sent help when they've been earthquakes and hurricanes, our synagogues and schools always put together care packages to send to people in need.

That is yet another false stereotype.

just1kasz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not going back thru 19 pages to find the posts which said Jews only help Jews and the other pages which said, not quite.

Here are two interesting links on the subject.

http://israel21c.org/headlines/typhoon-victims-welcome-aid-from-the-other-side-of-the-world/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se3PaCX7sjI

https://www.facebook.com/TreeOfLifeWisdom

susannah2000
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I think we have moved from stereotype to actual antiSemitism.

lunabella79
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:40 AM
No, not yet, though he's been making me crazy with contractions that do nothing to my cervix. He still needs to cook in there for a while longer anyway.

Quoting ewunia79:

Hi didn't see you in a while :) is the baby here yet?

Quoting lunabella79:

Agreed. My husband is Jewish and he is the furthest thing from being greedy and money hungry.

Quoting momto2boys973:

Yes, it's a stereotype. One he should be ashamed of perpetuating, BTW.

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Except that it's generally NOT true. There was a recent survey that studied the charity habits of religions: Judaism came second on the list, behind Islam, with Christianity in third.

Yes, we have an obligation to help Jews, but we also have an obligation to be a light unto the world. It is part of our religious duty to enforce Tikkun Olam, or -> the Repair of the World. We are obligated to help those in need. 

Quoting Anonymous:
Oh please. I like Jewish people just fine. She was going on about how they help each other in their community and I just pointed out that others don't get to see the generosity (because they mostly help each other). I never said it was a bad thing.
Quoting blue123244:

you can always tell the Jew haters even when they try to cover it up ("Jewish people mostly help other Jews")

Quoting momto2boys973:
Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe some non jews believe the stereotype because Jewish people mostly help other Jews.
Quoting momto2boys973:
Quoting TableforSeven:

As if I didn't already know how generous Jewish people usually are....when we moved to Israel last year and for the first few weeks only had the items we could fit in our suitcases on the airplane with us.  We had total strangers bring us mattresses, food, blankets - give us rides anywhere we needed to go, have us for meals, etc. And none of them wanted anything in return.  In fact, when I said to a few that we would have them for a meal once we were settled to repay their kindness, many of them seemed insulted.

Quoting momto2boys973:
Quoting TableforSeven:

Being greedy is a stereotype of Jewish people.  Being Jewish myself and seeing how my (Jewish) friends live as well...it is FAR from the truth for most of us.

I agree. The amount if money my community gives away to help others is amazing. We're big on charity and good acts. I remember after my C-sections I didn't have to cook a meal for a month! The synagogue ladies bought me breakfast, lunch and dinner every day so I could recover. ThT's what we do whenever a member of the community is sick. My sons' yeshivah requires them to bring money for charity every day to give away before praying. And I actually just pay half the tuition because that's what I can pay and they get money from the community for scholarships.

Yeah... How disgustingly greedy we are..
Not to mention Israel as a country itself. Pretty much every other country- the U.S being one of the harshest- do anything to keep immigrants out. No, they can't come and "steal our jobs", or enjoy anything "paid by my tax dollars!" And yet Israel opens its doors, provides help, tax breaks, free classes to learn the language, money to keep you up while you settle, free education and medicine and all that paid with tax payer's money who are delighted to be able to help new immigrants get home.

Greedy, greedy, greedy...
So? Charity starts at home. Christian charities mostly help Christians, Muslim charities mostly help Muslims.

But anyone who uses that as an excuse to promote a nasty, false stereotype has very selective knowledge. Check out "102 Minutes that Changed America", a 9/11 documentary from the History Channel. In several scenes you can see the volunteers from Hatzolah (a Jewish rescue and paramedic organization) going in to help people, risking their lives to save others and I can guarantee you they weren't checking for a bris or a WIZO card before helping someone.

In my country, our community's help organization is well known. We've sent help when they've been earthquakes and hurricanes, our synagogues and schools always put together care packages to send to people in need.

That is yet another false stereotype

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)