Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this a Jewish stereotype?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I was talking to my (Jewish) therapist about how greedy family members descended like vultures when my grandmother died. He mentioned that, coming from a Jewish family, he knew what that was like. Is being greedy vultures after death a common Jewish stereotype?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Replies (21-30):
momto2boys973
by Emerald Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM
4 moms liked this
Quoting TableforSeven:

Being greedy is a stereotype of Jewish people.  Being Jewish myself and seeing how my (Jewish) friends live as well...it is FAR from the truth for most of us.

I agree. The amount if money my community gives away to help others is amazing. We're big on charity and good acts. I remember after my C-sections I didn't have to cook a meal for a month! The synagogue ladies bought me breakfast, lunch and dinner every day so I could recover. ThT's what we do whenever a member of the community is sick. My sons' yeshivah requires them to bring money for charity every day to give away before praying. And I actually just pay half the tuition because that's what I can pay and they get money from the community for scholarships.
Yeah... How disgustingly greedy we are...
Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM
2 moms liked this

Do I know stingy jewish people? Yep

Do I know stingy people of other religions and back grounds? Yep

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM
I am Jewish and have a small nose. In fact most of the time I get mistaken as hispanic lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am jewish. The only stereotype I have from being jewish is my huge nose. Lol
Roo1234
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
frankly, he could have left the Jewish aspect out off it. descending like vultures to claim departed family members possessions is a HUMAN behavior found across many cultures
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM
2 moms liked this

I always thought this was a pretty common stereotype of Jews? Unfair stereotype but a common one nonetheless...similar to Puerto Ricans being loud...I'm not loud nor greedy *shrug*

TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

As if I didn't already know how generous Jewish people usually are....when we moved to Israel last year and for the first few weeks only had the items we could fit in our suitcases on the airplane with us.  We had total strangers bring us mattresses, food, blankets - give us rides anywhere we needed to go, have us for meals, etc. And none of them wanted anything in return.  In fact, when I said to a few that we would have them for a meal once we were settled to repay their kindness, many of them seemed insulted.  

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting TableforSeven:

Being greedy is a stereotype of Jewish people.  Being Jewish myself and seeing how my (Jewish) friends live as well...it is FAR from the truth for most of us.

I agree. The amount if money my community gives away to help others is amazing. We're big on charity and good acts. I remember after my C-sections I didn't have to cook a meal for a month! The synagogue ladies bought me breakfast, lunch and dinner every day so I could recover. ThT's what we do whenever a member of the community is sick. My sons' yeshivah requires them to bring money for charity every day to give away before praying. And I actually just pay half the tuition because that's what I can pay and they get money from the community for scholarships.

GarysGirl85
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:12 AM
3 moms liked this
Sadly it is a stereotype. We are Jewish and I know many Jewish people and that is a very unfair stereotype. No one I know who is Jewish, myself and my family included, are that way.
GarysGirl85
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

BTW, I have come across many selfish, stingy, cheap people who won't help others who are not Jewish and I am sure there are Jewish people who are like that. It is a human flaw and not an ethnicity's flaw.

momto2boys973
by Emerald Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting TableforSeven:

As if I didn't already know how generous Jewish people usually are....when we moved to Israel last year and for the first few weeks only had the items we could fit in our suitcases on the airplane with us.  We had total strangers bring us mattresses, food, blankets - give us rides anywhere we needed to go, have us for meals, etc. And none of them wanted anything in return.  In fact, when I said to a few that we would have them for a meal once we were settled to repay their kindness, many of them seemed insulted.  

Quoting momto2boys973:
Quoting TableforSeven:

Not to mention Israel as a country itself. Pretty much every other country- the U.S being one of the harshest- do anything to keep immigrants out. No, they can't come and "steal our jobs", or enjoy anything "paid by my tax dollars!" And yet Israel opens its doors, provides help, tax breaks, free classes to learn the language, money to keep you up while you settle, free education and medicine and all that paid with tax payer's money who are delighted to be able to help new immigrants get home.
Greedy, greedy, greedy...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:24 AM
My dh is jewish. His entire family is jewish. He fully expect when his grandfather dies (his mothers stepfather as her biobdad died when she was 10 and her mom remarried when she was 18) that his 2 bio kids will fight tooth and nail the fact that dh and his brother are being given $5000 a piece, as stated in his will. His bio children are the most spiteful, hateful people i have ever met. They have never liked mil because they never agreed with their father remarrying. They were beyond disrespectful while mil and her dad were sitting shiva for her mother.

However, this behavior is not specific to just the jewish religion. It can be anyone. Death brings out the worst in people.

I also want to say that with my dh being jewish, he is horrible with money. He can save if need be, but if given an opportunity he will blow through money faster than anyone i know.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN