Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this a Jewish stereotype?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I was talking to my (Jewish) therapist about how greedy family members descended like vultures when my grandmother died. He mentioned that, coming from a Jewish family, he knew what that was like. Is being greedy vultures after death a common Jewish stereotype?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Replies (41-50):
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe some non jews believe the stereotype because Jewish people mostly help other Jews.

Quoting momto2boys973:
Quoting TableforSeven:

As if I didn't already know how generous Jewish people usually are....when we moved to Israel last year and for the first few weeks only had the items we could fit in our suitcases on the airplane with us.  We had total strangers bring us mattresses, food, blankets - give us rides anywhere we needed to go, have us for meals, etc. And none of them wanted anything in return.  In fact, when I said to a few that we would have them for a meal once we were settled to repay their kindness, many of them seemed insulted.  

Quoting momto2boys973:
Quoting TableforSeven:

Being greedy is a stereotype of Jewish people.  Being Jewish myself and seeing how my (Jewish) friends live as well...it is FAR from the truth for most of us.

I agree. The amount if money my community gives away to help others is amazing. We're big on charity and good acts. I remember after my C-sections I didn't have to cook a meal for a month! The synagogue ladies bought me breakfast, lunch and dinner every day so I could recover. ThT's what we do whenever a member of the community is sick. My sons' yeshivah requires them to bring money for charity every day to give away before praying. And I actually just pay half the tuition because that's what I can pay and they get money from the community for scholarships.
Yeah... How disgustingly greedy we are...

Not to mention Israel as a country itself. Pretty much every other country- the U.S being one of the harshest- do anything to keep immigrants out. No, they can't come and "steal our jobs", or enjoy anything "paid by my tax dollars!" And yet Israel opens its doors, provides help, tax breaks, free classes to learn the language, money to keep you up while you settle, free education and medicine and all that paid with tax payer's money who are delighted to be able to help new immigrants get home.
Greedy, greedy, greedy...

So? Charity starts at home. Christian charities mostly help Christians, Muslim charities mostly help Muslims.
But anyone who uses that as an excuse to promote a nasty, false stereotype has very selective knowledge. Check out "102 Minutes that Changed America", a 9/11 documentary from the History Channel. In several scenes you can see the volunteers from Hatzolah (a Jewish rescue and paramedic organization) going in to help people, risking their lives to save others and I can guarantee you they weren't checking for a bris or a WIZO card before helping someone.
In my country, our community's help organization is well known. We've sent help when they've been earthquakes and hurricanes, our synagogues and schools always put together care packages to send to people in need.
That is yet another false stereotype.
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Well, I wouldn't call my therapist a jerk. I adore him. Perhaps he just spoke without thinking.

Quoting two4one:

Yes it's a stereotype. Doesn't make it true though. It's like saying all black people like watermelon, all Asians are bad drivers or all Irish people are drunks. Anyone who believes and continues to perpetuate these things is a jerk.

Not a good sign for a therapist. Just saying...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM
3 moms liked this

What a fucking bitch you are and you obviously don't really know any Jews.  I say this as a Jew.  Bitch.

Quoting Anonymous:

Every Jew I've ever known was greedy, money hungry, and cheap.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I dunno, but I had a roommate who was Jewish.  He took all of the ice out of the freezer when he went on vaction so that he wouldn't have to buy ice.  I told him that I would give him two dollars to go buy ice.  He would wash his car in the rain so he didn't have to pay for water to rinse it off.  He'd drive 40 minutes (one way) to save 5 cents per gallon of gas.  He saved a total of 50 cents, filling up.  He was a strange duck, but I don't know if it had anything to do with him being Jewish.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM
I know, but therapists are human. In general, he really is awesome.

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, I wouldn't call my therapist a jerk. I adore him. Perhaps he just spoke without thinking.

Quoting two4one:

Yes it's a stereotype. Doesn't make it true though. It's like saying all black people like watermelon, all Asians are bad drivers or all Irish people are drunks. Anyone who believes and continues to perpetuate these things is a jerk.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM

It might be a stereotype, but that is all it is.

When somebody dies in most families, the vultures swoop in.  It is disgusting.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting momto2boys973:
Quoting Anonymous:Well, I wouldn't call my therapist a jerk. I adore him. Perhaps he just spoke without thinking.

Quoting two4one:

I know we all make mistakes, but when you're a professional, you have to be more careful and avoid those mistakes. I would really mistrust a therapist who babbles before thinking. Who knows what else could come out of that mouth before he connects his brain to it?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:30 PM
I appreciate what you're saying, but I just can't bring myself to think anything negative about him, LOL.

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting momto2boys973:
Quoting Anonymous:Well, I wouldn't call my therapist a jerk. I adore him. Perhaps he just spoke without thinking.

Quoting two4one:

I know we all make mistakes, but when you're a professional, you have to be more careful and avoid those mistakes. I would really mistrust a therapist who babbles before thinking. Who knows what else could come out of that mouth before he connects his brain to it?

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

What a fucking bitch you are and you obviously don't really know any Jews.  I say this as a Jew.  Bitch.

Quoting Anonymous:

Every Jew I've ever known was greedy, money hungry, and cheap.

Thankfully, her nastiest replies were deleted!
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I appreciate what you're saying, but I just can't bring myself to think anything negative about him, LOL.

Quoting momto2boys973:
Quoting Anonymous:I know, but therapists are human. In general, he really is awesome.

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting two4one:

That's pretty common, I've had therapists in the past and felt the same way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)