Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was told it is child abuse.... *edit*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 112 Replies
We went to dinner yesterday with my husbands family, normally it goes well when we are around them but my husband is the black sheep of he family. Why you ask? Because he is an atheist and his whole family is extremely religious, in fact his dad is a pastor.
While sitting at the dinner table they started talking about church, they turned to my oldest dd (5) and told her that they will start picking her up on Sunday for church since we didn't take her.
Um, what..... They don't even ask??? They just tell her what they will do.
My husband flat out told them no and they all kept saying what we were doing was child abuse.
We are abusing our children by not taking them to church......
Are you freakin kidding me????????
We left. Not going to sit there and be attacked because we don't believe what they do.

EDIT.
I need to add some things so I don't constantly have to repeat myself.
My oldest dd has gone to church before. Last time was Easter, in Sunday school they watched a video of Jesus being nailed to the cross... Yeah. No.......
She hasn't been back since and that is her decision. She doesn't like church. Every time she came home from it she said it was boring.

We don't just keep her locked away and hidden from everyone's beliefs except our own. My best friend is pagan, her best friend in school is a Muslim, both our families are Christian. We live in the Bible Belt so she it would be hard to keep her from that.
When she is old enough to decide hat she wants to believe then we will support her decision and will definitely not judge her for it.
That goes for our youngest dd as well.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TrouserMouse
by Emerald Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM
13 moms liked this
Sometimes you just need to determine who in your life builds you up and who tears you down and then make some decisions.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM
3 moms liked this
I do find it sad that you won't expose your child to any religions. But it isn't child abuse.
TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Hahaha, I'm sorry..
Lilfootmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM
That isnt abuse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Gotta love those christians....

(sarcasm)
lovnmy3boys
by Paula on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:25 PM

That's your choice as parents, it's not child abuse. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:25 PM
7 moms liked this
They are exposed. Both sides of grandparents are pastors. They know about god but they don't understand it. We live in the Bible Belt, they are surrounded by religion.
When they are old enough to decide what they want to believe we will support them regardless of our differences.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do find it sad that you won't expose your child to any religions. But it isn't child abuse.

drowningmama
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM
No, not taking them to church is not child abuse.
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Your kids, your decision and I'd like to see them call Dcs lol.
alexabimom
by Jessica on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM
My mother is like that. Anyone can discuss their religion until someone asks about mine (agnostic) and she immediately says No, I don't want to hear it. It's sad to be shunned by your own mother because your beliefs have changed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured