Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hate Disney Princesses. *eta*

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM
  • 254 Replies
2 moms liked this

I hate the original Disney Princesses. I would want my daughter growing up to be a strong, independent woman, who knows how to use her brain to get places in life. I wouldn't want her to think that if she gets herself dolled up all pretty, then some handsome prince will come whisk her away to a fairytale land where she doesn't have to do shit but be pampered for the rest of her life. From what I have seen, the original Disney princesses are weak and helpless, and need a man.

I will also raise my son to search for a woman who is strong and independent, one who doesn't need a man to stand on her own two feet in life.
In my opinion, most original Disney princesses set a bad example for kids, and give them unrealistic expectations of how relationships should be.

-Ariel was controlled by her father, and she tried to break free only to end up helpless and in need of Eric to help her through life.

-Snow White depended on the dwarves to go to work and pay the bills while she just sat at home cooking and cleaning fo
r them all day.

-Cinderella was dependent on her father, and then he died, leaving her helpless and under the control of her evil stepmother, then some magic happened and she got all prettied up and the prince saved her.

-Belle depended on her father, and then he was locked up and Belle let herself be imprisoned instead instead of trying harder to break him out, and spent that time controlled by the Beast Adam until he fell for her and turned back into a man.

-Rapunzel was so helpless, she couldn't even climb out of that freaking tower until some handsome dude came to rescue her.

-Jasmine was dependent on the Sultan, and wasn't allowed to marry the man she loved because he wasn't a prince. At least the Sultan finally came to his senses in the end, but he still had to give his PERMISSION.

-Aurora's parents arranged her marriage when she was a baby to Prince Phillip, and he had to rescue her after the witch knocked her out with a poison apple because she was dumb enough to eat it.

Seriously, the only original Disney princess I have any respect for is Mulan, and I'm not sure if she actually qualifies as a princess.

At least they're making the newer Disney movies give the characters some self worth, but the originals are terrible.

**Okay, Sleeping Beauty pricked her finger, not ate an apple, I get it. It's been like, 15 years since I've seen those movies.
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:40 PM
8 moms liked this

They are just pretend mama..

ProudMommaBear
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM
9 moms liked this
It's fictional... Parents need to teach their kids not movies.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM
2 moms liked this
It's a cartoon. Calm yourself.
.Zombie.Girl.
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM
7 moms liked this

I think Belle from beauty and the beast was pretty independent and smart. She was also a caring person.

katemckenzie
by Kate on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM

The stories are, but kids learn from that. I used to babysit this little girl from the time she was 3 to when she was 8, and she's 11 now, and is still obsessed over having a prince rescue her, because her parents let her have princess EVERYTHING, and she had a very unrealistic view on relationships. She's in middle school now, and that's when girls start having their first "boyfriends." She's a very sweet girl, but very jaded. Her parents have done nothing to teach her that her mind is more important than her looks.

Quoting vegaswife2011:

.Zombie.Girl.
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Cinderella on the other hand just married the prince to get out of the Hell she was living. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM
3 moms liked this

Time to take a step into reality. The are fictional stories. You teach your child. Not the movies 

ProudMommaBear
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM
12 moms liked this
That's the PARENTS fault not the stories
Quoting katemckenzie:

The stories are, but kids learn from that. I used to babysit this little girl from the time she was 3 to when she was 8, and she's 11 now, and is still obsessed over having a prince rescue her, because her parents let her have princess EVERYTHING, and she had a very unrealistic view on relationships. She's in middle school now, and that's when girls start having their first "boyfriends." She's a very sweet girl, but very jaded. Her parents have done nothing to teach her that her mind is more important than her looks.

Quoting vegaswife2011:

Single Teen Mommy.  Mother to One Beautiful Daughter.  Senior in High School. College Student.

MotherOfBee
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I enjoyed the movies, but I agree. I really love Mulan and Merida from "Brave".

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this
I honestly think you take them too seriously. I wouldn't want my daughter to think she's an actual Princess.

I don't want my son to be a Prince charming, trying to save that type of princess.

I hope I'm teaching them better than that. I let them know that TV is just that. TV. Entertainment. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)