Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why does it seem like non religious people are smarter?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 312 Replies
8 moms liked this
That's the provocative conclusion of a new review of 63 studies of intelligence and religion that span the past century. The meta-analysis showed that in 53 of the studies, conducted between 1928 to 2012, there was an inverse relation between religiosity -- having religious beliefs, or performing religious rituals -- and intelligence. That is, on average, non-believers scored higher than religious people on intelligence tests.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Bump
TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM
6 moms liked this
I'm not touching this
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I'm not bashing. I'm simply wondering why non religious people scored higher on average? In your opinion

Quoting TSNDDY:

I'm not touching this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM
27 moms liked this
Because we are not brainwashed. We are logical and rational. We think for ourselves. We crave knowledge.
imandia4
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I really want to see those studies. Update the post with the resources.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM
6 moms liked this

No clue. I've met some REALLY stupid non-religious people and some zealots who were too busy in the church to study anything other than the Bible. With that said, I also personally know some incredibly intelligent non-religious people and a pastor who has taken more college courses than any other person I know lol. I honestly believe that there isn't just one thing making people "stupid". How were their parents? What type of schooling did they get? What was their home life like and the area where they were brought up? There are just too many variables.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3750096

Can't make it clicky. Just stumbled upon it and was curious for input

Quoting imandia4:

I really want to see those studies. Update the post with the resources.

plumbobtoggle
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM
6 moms liked this

I'm wondering is this test differentiated between "non-believers" as in atheists, and people who are simply "non-religious" as in believe in some sort of higher power but chose not to participate in organized religion.

larissa5512
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Precisely

Quoting Anonymous:

Because we are not brainwashed. We are logical and rational. We think for ourselves. We crave knowledge.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:49 PM
20 moms liked this
Most non-religious folks don't accept anything on blind faith, but use logic and reason, and research, in all aspects...not just religion, but with other things as well...

And many have a deep appreciation of science, the facts and the steps...

Also, most non-religious people I've met are fascinated with more than just one religion, they study many different viewpoints and cultures...you're generally not locked into one viewpoint but able to see all sides of things...

Yes, this is my opinion. Not trying to offend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)