Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

did you know adhd

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
For those saying adhd isn't real. Did you know that if a child is on adhd meds and they don't have it if will make them more hyper? It has an opposite affect on people. That is why the drugs for these disorders are so popular. People like to take them if they don't have it because it gives them lots of energy. It is why some parents treat the disorder with coffee and soda because instead of giving a person with adhd more energy it calms them down and helps them focus. The down side it is short lived.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
AuntieM
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:10 PM
I am in no way bashing the use of ADHD meds. I've seen how well they work. All I'm saying is, regardless of the effect they have on someone, it is still speed and that is why people without ADHD want them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM
I agree that is what I was saying. They say aderall is like cocaine. I just get tired saying that adhd is fake because it it were it wouldn't have a difference affect on people who do have adhd.

Quoting AuntieM:

I am in no way bashing the use of ADHD meds. I've seen how well they work. All I'm saying is, regardless of the effect they have on someone, it is still speed and that is why people without ADHD want them.
sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Too much truth, not enough drama. Post is dying.

Sorry OP. I agree. My son has impulsive ADHD. His prescription is for 3x/day. On school days he gets it at least 2x. Otherwise, 1-2x, ONCE in a while I'll go ahead with the third treatment. I go based on his impulsiveness and inability to focus. If he can't draw a 4 inch straight line without hopping about, wanting to something else for 3 seconds and then the next taxt a few seconds after that, it's time to medicate.

complextrina
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM
That's not necessarily true. Different medications work differently for different children. I have a son with ADHD that will bounce off the walls if he doesn't take his meds, but "uppers" aka adderall derivatives will only make that worse, just as coffee or soda would. He currently takes a Ritalin derivative, focalin xr, and it works pretty well. He takes it in conjunction with kapvay, aka long acting clonidine. There is a noticeable difference when he misses his meds, which rarely occurs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Adderall is a schedule two drug, because of its chemical properties, and risk of abuse and dependence.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Thank you  but yes I did know that my son is ADHD

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Clonidine is a blood pressure meds that help children sleep it is normally given to children with adhd because of the side effect of insomnia.

The meds can have a difference effect in some cases if there is another disorder as well. Like my ds. He has odd too and we have to watch his dosage because if the dosage of some meds get to high he can get more aggressive because of his odd.

Quoting complextrina:

That's not necessarily true. Different medications work differently for different children. I have a son with ADHD that will bounce off the walls if he doesn't take his meds, but "uppers" aka adderall derivatives will only make that worse, just as coffee or soda would. He currently takes a Ritalin derivative, focalin xr, and it works pretty well. He takes it in conjunction with kapvay, aka long acting clonidine. There is a noticeable difference when he misses his meds, which rarely occurs.
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM
This is what happened with NY daughter. She is not hyperactive at all (it is all considered adhd now) and the beds have helped her immensely.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is a lot about ADHD I didn't know until this past summer when our son was diagnosed.  I didn't know that a child that was lethargic could be diagnosed with ADHD.  I didn't know the effect of ADHD on learning.  I assumed that ADHD meds would change his personality.  I was proved wrong on so many different pre-conceived notions I had.

adorkablemommie
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Of coarse people like to take them so they have more energy it's flipp'n amphetamine. People with children that have ADHD should try behavior modifications before medications. I have a son with ADHD and it's tough, and it's a very hard. I don't know of anyone that treats it with soda or coffee. Behavior modification is what works best because there's no side effects and it doesn't wear off every 4 hours. 

***That's not to say putting your child on ADHD meds is a bad thing some parents need to do just that****

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:50 PM
A lot of people don't. All of the talk of it not being real.

Quoting Sassy762:

Thank you  but yes I did know that my son is ADHD

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)