Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

did you know adhd

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
For those saying adhd isn't real. Did you know that if a child is on adhd meds and they don't have it if will make them more hyper? It has an opposite affect on people. That is why the drugs for these disorders are so popular. People like to take them if they don't have it because it gives them lots of energy. It is why some parents treat the disorder with coffee and soda because instead of giving a person with adhd more energy it calms them down and helps them focus. The down side it is short lived.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
eesmommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Did you know that it has been proven that a change in diet as well as chiropractic care can totally "heal" a person with adhd? As in the hyperness is totally and completely gone for good?
lalaballet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM
I know. I discovered early on not to drink extra shot coffee when I have to drive a long way.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I just logged on CM.......I was being a sarcastic smart ass....sorry

I should probably log back off before I get booted, lol

Quoting Anonymous:

A lot of people don't. All of the talk of it not being real.

Quoting Sassy762:

Thank you  but yes I did know that my son is ADHD

I'M CLASSY, SASSY WITH A BIT OF SMART ASS THROWN IN PIC

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM
If you join the adhd gruop a lot of moms do it along with behavior therapy to keep from medicating. My ds behavior therapist told me to try it when I took him off meds but because his odd it didn't have the same effect on him.

Quoting adorkablemommie:

Of coarse people like to take them so they have more energy it's flipp'n amphetamine. People with children that have ADHD should try behavior modifications before medications. I have a son with ADHD and it's tough, and it's a very hard. I don't know of anyone that treats it with soda or coffee. Behavior modification is what works best because there's no side effects and it doesn't wear off every 4 hours. 

***That's not to say putting your child on ADHD meds is a bad thing some parents need to do just that****

adorkablemommie
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I agree with the change in diet but not with the chiropractic care my son sees a chiropractor and still has ADHD. But behavior modifications and diet really have made his ADHD manageable and medication free. 

Quoting eesmommy:

Did you know that it has been proven that a change in diet as well as chiropractic care can totally "heal" a person with adhd? As in the hyperness is totally and completely gone for good?

karlie2
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM

We made changes to my sons diet first.  We have very solid routines, regular excise and bed times.

When we had all of that in place and he was still struggling we tried medications.  We give him the lowest possible dose that will help him but not interfere with sleep or make him a "zombie"

I know the meds help because we ruled out many other factors first.

ambrossious2000
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Did you know a kid with adhd usually dont grow out of it. I am an adhd adult. It sucks
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM
I do know that in some cases a diet change can help it but it doesn't work in all cases.

Quoting eesmommy:

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM

That's actually how we knew my son was adhd and did not have a mental illness.  He was 4 when diagnosed and they tried passing it off as something else first.  When 4 different mental health drugs did not work, and Ritalin turned him into a kid who could sit and color at pre-school, we knew we had the right diagnosis and the right drug, despite all of the people who tried to say he was too young or we were just bad parents.

adorkablemommie
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Every child is different and what works with one child with ADHD is not going to work for another child. My son sees a therapist and has learned ways of dealing with his energy. Also I have found incentives that work well for him (I'm not above bribery) Positive reinforcement and a rewards system has kept my son (as well as changes to his diet) off medications. 

Quoting Anonymous:

If you join the adhd gruop a lot of moms do it along with behavior therapy to keep from medicating. My ds behavior therapist told me to try it when I took him off meds but because his odd it didn't have the same effect on him.

Quoting adorkablemommie:

Of coarse people like to take them so they have more energy it's flipp'n amphetamine. People with children that have ADHD should try behavior modifications before medications. I have a son with ADHD and it's tough, and it's a very hard. I don't know of anyone that treats it with soda or coffee. Behavior modification is what works best because there's no side effects and it doesn't wear off every 4 hours. 

***That's not to say putting your child on ADHD meds is a bad thing some parents need to do just that****

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)