Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

did you know adhd

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
For those saying adhd isn't real. Did you know that if a child is on adhd meds and they don't have it if will make them more hyper? It has an opposite affect on people. That is why the drugs for these disorders are so popular. People like to take them if they don't have it because it gives them lots of energy. It is why some parents treat the disorder with coffee and soda because instead of giving a person with adhd more energy it calms them down and helps them focus. The down side it is short lived.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Growing out of it is a myth. I wish it wasn't. I do think if started early they can learn to control it. I am working on this with my kids because I know when dd turns 18 she will stop meds. She hates them. It is part of thev reason she is so skinny.

Quoting ambrossious2000:

Did you know a kid with adhd usually dont grow out of it. I am an adhd adult. It sucks
MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:00 PM
If its the stimulants yes. But there are non stimulants. At this point Idgaf if its speed its better than worrying that ds would drop out over an inability to focus. I do hope one day he can learn to focus without meds. Its possible.

Quoting AuntieM:

Yes I know that. Which would be why our friends wanted it. And whether it had that effect or not, it's still speed.

eesmommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM
A lot of cases are misdiagnosed. You can read tons of moms on here who will say their child was diagnosed but they refused to medicate, then with another teacher the child was fine. Some kids are hyper around different situations. When my parents come my DD is off the chain! My mom basically demands that she be in meds... when my mom isn't here which is 50 weeks out of the year DD is fine, tons of energy but no craziness. When we go to the beach you would think DS is adhd. He runs and screams and carries on like bonkers but normally he is one of the calmest kids around. Doctors and parents and teachers don't take the time usually to sit down and calmly abserve their child. Video tape certain situations and then watch the people involved and critique what the issue is. Everyone wants zombie kids. Kids aren't zombies, they have energy and thoughts and emotions. Its okay for them to go outside and run around the yard acting lime wild animals, lions tigers and bears!!! But when they are inside they should know to act accordingly. Basic child rearing.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do know that in some cases a diet change can help it but it doesn't work in all cases.

Quoting eesmommy:

Did you know that it has been proven that a change in diet as well as chiropractic care can totally "heal" a person with adhd? As in the hyperness is totally and completely gone for good?

Nickie76
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM
My parents treated me old school via caffeine. It still works to this day. Wish I would have had meds. though I probably would have been better at a lot of things had they sought out that option.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I did actually know that.  My dd has adhd and my son has autism.

BeAmour
by Tonya on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM

yes. my guy friend has ADD and is on Adderall and it helps him a ton!

MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM
We are now pretty sure my dad has add but of course was never diagnosed. He got through life okay though. Fortunately has a great organized wife...

Quoting Anonymous:

Growing out of it is a myth. I wish it wasn't. I do think if started early they can learn to control it. I am working on this with my kids because I know when dd turns 18 she will stop meds. She hates them. It is part of thev reason she is so skinny.

Quoting ambrossious2000:

Did you know a kid with adhd usually dont grow out of it. I am an adhd adult. It sucks

faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM

False. It will focus anyone. That is why people in college buy them so they can cram.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Meds don't turn children into zombies if on the right dosage. My kids are on meds and they run and play and have fun you would never know they are on meds.

Quoting eesmommy:

A lot of cases are misdiagnosed. You can read tons of moms on here who will say their child was diagnosed but they refused to medicate, then with another teacher the child was fine. Some kids are hyper around different situations. When my parents come my DD is off the chain! My mom basically demands that she be in meds... when my mom isn't here which is 50 weeks out of the year DD is fine, tons of energy but no craziness. When we go to the beach you would think DS is adhd. He runs and screams and carries on like bonkers but normally he is one of the calmest kids around. Doctors and parents and teachers don't take the time usually to sit down and calmly abserve their child. Video tape certain situations and then watch the people involved and critique what the issue is. Everyone wants zombie kids. Kids aren't zombies, they have energy and thoughts and emotions. Its okay for them to go outside and run around the yard acting lime wild animals, lions tigers and bears!!! But when they are inside they should know to act accordingly. Basic child rearing.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do know that in some cases a diet change can help it but it doesn't work in all cases.

Quoting eesmommy:

Did you know that it has been proven that a change in diet as well as chiropractic care can totally "heal" a person with adhd? As in the hyperness is totally and completely gone for good?

....ClvrScn.
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Yes I have a sin with adhd. I only medicate during school hours. We use coffee mixed in milk for before school.

Many people dont know that adhd isnt just a subjective diagnosis anymore. It can be detected with an fmri. .
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)