Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

did you know adhd

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
For those saying adhd isn't real. Did you know that if a child is on adhd meds and they don't have it if will make them more hyper? It has an opposite affect on people. That is why the drugs for these disorders are so popular. People like to take them if they don't have it because it gives them lots of energy. It is why some parents treat the disorder with coffee and soda because instead of giving a person with adhd more energy it calms them down and helps them focus. The down side it is short lived.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (41-50):
SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Um, duh.  Used to snort my friend's adhd meds in college for fun.  WAAAYYYY better than cocaine lol!

BeAmour
by Tonya on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:06 PM

My 1st grade teacher tried to convince my parents that I had ADHD. They went along with having me evaluated and the Psychiatrist laughed during the assessment and told my parents that I most certainly did not have ADHD. I was just bored.

I was in a private school from early care to Kindergarten and I had learned up to 2nd grade material. I was bored doing 1st grade work so after they got the conclusion, I was given 3rd grade material and I was MUCH better.

Quoting eesmommy:

A lot of cases are misdiagnosed. You can read tons of moms on here who will say their child was diagnosed but they refused to medicate, then with another teacher the child was fine. Some kids are hyper around different situations. When my parents come my DD is off the chain! My mom basically demands that she be in meds... when my mom isn't here which is 50 weeks out of the year DD is fine, tons of energy but no craziness. When we go to the beach you would think DS is adhd. He runs and screams and carries on like bonkers but normally he is one of the calmest kids around. Doctors and parents and teachers don't take the time usually to sit down and calmly abserve their child. Video tape certain situations and then watch the people involved and critique what the issue is. Everyone wants zombie kids. Kids aren't zombies, they have energy and thoughts and emotions. Its okay for them to go outside and run around the yard acting lime wild animals, lions tigers and bears!!! But when they are inside they should know to act accordingly. Basic child rearing.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do know that in some cases a diet change can help it but it doesn't work in all cases.

Quoting eesmommy:

Did you know that it has been proven that a change in diet as well as chiropractic care can totally "heal" a person with adhd? As in the hyperness is totally and completely gone for good?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Yes it will help the focus but still give them more energy and more hyper as well. I knew a mom who took her son meds to see what it will do and she was over the edge and hyper as hell.

Quoting faire_jour:

False. It will focus anyone. That is why people in college buy them so they can cram.

vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:07 PM

You are correct!

My 7 year old son is ADHD and has OCD.  His and our whole lives changed once they got him on his medicine.  (Concerta and prozac) The prozac is to help his OCD tendencies and his tics, although the tics are coming back. ): 

Duckyteers
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Lol, yup dd actually started taking naps lol... I was like wtf...
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Not true. 

Quoting faire_jour:

False. It will focus anyone. That is why people in college buy them so they can cram.

EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM
I have a friend who's ds has adhd. It's so much mote than just not being able to sit still.
eesmommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this
My nephew was the same way. Poor kid was bored to madness they finally had him do the next grade work and he graduated at 14. They did use a vitamin at one point to help with the excessive moods but once they gave him harder work he didn't need it.

Quoting BeAmour:

My 1st grade teacher tried to convince my parents that I had ADHD. They went along with having me evaluated and the Psychiatrist laughed during the assessment and told my parents that I most certainly did not have ADHD. I was just bored.

I was in a private school from early care to Kindergarten and I had learned up to 2nd grade material. I was bored doing 1st grade work so after they got the conclusion, I was given 3rd grade material and I was MUCH better.

Quoting eesmommy:

A lot of cases are misdiagnosed. You can read tons of moms on here who will say their child was diagnosed but they refused to medicate, then with another teacher the child was fine. Some kids are hyper around different situations. When my parents come my DD is off the chain! My mom basically demands that she be in meds... when my mom isn't here which is 50 weeks out of the year DD is fine, tons of energy but no craziness. When we go to the beach you would think DS is adhd. He runs and screams and carries on like bonkers but normally he is one of the calmest kids around. Doctors and parents and teachers don't take the time usually to sit down and calmly abserve their child. Video tape certain situations and then watch the people involved and critique what the issue is. Everyone wants zombie kids. Kids aren't zombies, they have energy and thoughts and emotions. Its okay for them to go outside and run around the yard acting lime wild animals, lions tigers and bears!!! But when they are inside they should know to act accordingly. Basic child rearing.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do know that in some cases a diet change can help it but it doesn't work in all cases.

Quoting eesmommy:

Did you know that it has been proven that a change in diet as well as chiropractic care can totally "heal" a person with adhd? As in the hyperness is totally and completely gone for good?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Is it possible that the adhd meds are causing the tics?
My ds can't take concerta, Ritalin, or focilin because it caused tics.

Quoting vetNmommy:

You are correct!

My 7 year old son is ADHD and has OCD.  His and our whole lives changed once they got him on his medicine.  (Concerta and prozac) The prozac is to help his OCD tendencies and his tics, although the tics are coming back. ): 

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM

What's that stuff with the 'R'? Oh yea Ritalin? Well my sister got into my brother's and was bouncing off the walls. Why she did it? For attention. But still. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)