Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

anyone ever been to a food pantry click here

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

i may have to go to one for the first time ever and im just wondering do you walk around and pick what you need from what they have or does one of the employees/staff pick out your order for you?  i'm just wondering how it works as i don't want to make myself look like an A-hole when i go there.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Replies (21-27):
brandie1470
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM
I volunteered in fl before. They give you the food. You dont really know what you have until you open the bags
Muffins89
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM

the couple of times we went to the one where we used to live, we got to pick out most of our stuff but there was a limit as to how much of each category we could get and it went by family size (categories being milk, bread, juice/fruit, veggies, meat, pasta etc) one of the employees was with us and we went category by category picking the things we wanted from each

vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I took my friend one time. 

She needed her mariage certificate and children's social security cards or birth certificates (I do not remember) 

They gave her a ton of food, even a box of those vending machine chips.  (with 36 bags or so) raisin bread, ect. She definitely got a lot. 

However, she took advantage of it every 60 days.  When there was no need. I have no issue with the food pantry, I think it is great.  However, my friend just really rubbed me the wrong way. As soon as she walked in her house with all that food her kids went crazy and it was all gone in two days. 

littlepinkrose
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Depends on how yours works.  I have been to one where they bring out a box of food.  Also, there was one where we went into a room with an employee and you get a cart and then an employee took us around to different stations (it looked like a mini grocery store) and were told that we could pick out certain items. Like she would say you can have two types of canned beans or two types of canned vegetables and you could pick out of what they had.  We even got some frozen chicken and french fries and fresh fruit.  Every place is different make sure that you bring social security cards for family members and I.D. in case you need it and possibly a piece of mail to confirm address (I had to have that once.) They will tell you what to do once you get there.  How much you get depends on your family size the bigger the family the more you get.

fellowes
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM

kill me if i ever get to this point in life

littlepinkrose
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Take social security cards for all members of household, take your and husbands I.D. (bring copy of husbands if he cannot come with you.), bring in pay stub or welfare papers if you get state assistance, and also bring in a piece of mail just one piece that has your address on it.  Put these all in a bag and when you go there you check in at a desk and they will get all your information at that time.

Quoting Anonymous:

they  have a prerecorded message that says what u need to bring, social security cards, ids, proof of income and residence etc but it doesnt say procedure on it

Quoting Sassy762:

Sorry no clue, but you should probably call  them first and ask them their procedures

georgiana5
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I always got my kids to pick out a grocery item when we went to the shops. My oldest loved it! She would pick out stuff she would want and we would imagine the look when they got it home and it would be a surprise.

Fast forward a few years later and we fell on hard times. I needed to visit one myself many times until we got back on our feet.

Now I donate when I can. The food bank told us no one ever donates coffee as it was too expensive. So I go out of my way to make sure that is one thing I donate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)