Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The period of purple crying...are you kidding me?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 108 Replies
2 moms liked this

I am researching colic and the period of the purple cry as I am pretty sure that after a week straight of my newborn screaming his head off every night from 6pm to 2am that he has it. So I'm trying to read up on it and my sister told me to look at the period of purple crying website for tips so I'm scrolling through and looking at things and am absolutely appaled at what I see.

Leave your baby alone? Put on headphones and drown out the crying? Take a nap, while the baby is screaming?  I don't fucking think so! A poor baby who is just fresh from the safety and security of the womb does not need to be abandoned to scream. They need to be held and comforted, even if they can't be calmed down. They need to know mommy is there for them and won't leave them. I cannot believe this is actually being practiced...I wonder how many kids have abaondonment issues because of this.

I also find it hilarious that it says "take a warm bath with soft music to relax while your baby cries". What. The. Hell? A) that is not relaxing at all and B) That is selfish!

Then what REALLY got me was the "exercise" section. It says to put on an exercise DVD and work out, and every so often check in with your baby and tell them "Sorry, I am in exercise class right now, I will be with you shortly" like a damn 3 month old is going to understand what that means. Putting a crying infant who has no idea what's going on in the world and just wants it's mommy to love him is laying there screaming while Mommy exercises? How horrible.

I am just in shock.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:27 PM
22 moms liked this

that advice is given so that people don't go off the deep end and harm their babies

uncontrolable crying is the #1 cause of abusive head trauma

CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

What is the period of purple crying?  I've never heard of this?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
When your child has colic, sometimes you have to step away for a minute to pull yourself together so you can be there for them. I always took those suggestions to be excessive, but the spirit of step away to get yourself together is important.
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Wow!
Thankfully I have never had a baby who cried. My kids both cry if they are hurt. That's it!
DD would wake up happy and just be content knowing her needs would be met. Lol.
DS yells to get his needs met!
Even if I don't get lucky next time again and have a collic baby, I would never just let the baby.cry!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM
4 moms liked this

I agree with you!

Bring your baby in the warm bath with you! Take them to a chiropractor. Nurse them. Wear them. Take them outside in a wrap or sling and go for a walk. Go for a drive with them. Call a friend and have someone try walking the baby while you grab a shower.

SO many other things to do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM

So kinda off topic, but I used to wear my son in a front pack while on the elliptical.  He loved it and would pass right out.  He was old enough that he had head control and it was safe for him to be on there with me.

crumpy_gat
by No. on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM

That PURPLE shit is stupid.  I had a colicky baby, then with #2 they're shoving this PURPLE down my throat. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM
15 moms liked this
It *is* okay to put your screaming baby down and walk away for a few minutes. If more people would do that, we would have less issues with shaken baby syndrome.

How dare you try and make people feel guilty for taking a break from a baby that can't be consoled an they just need to step away.

And yes, I have been through it. My daughter screamed non-stop for hours and hours a day for the entire first eight month of her life. There were times I had to lay her down and let her scream her head off.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this

colic is not a medical diagnosis

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)