Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this normal? My mom's gyno ....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies

Okay.. so my mom went for her yearly PAP test this morning. After they swabbed her for the PAP, she started to get up and the doctor told her not to. Then he stuck his finger up her butt! He said he had to check for blood in her stool.

First of all... I didn't think checking for blood in stool had ANYTHING to do with the female reproductive system or anything gynecological.

Second of all... he gave her no warning that he was going to do it before he did it.

And third... when she felt him starting to stick his finger in there she said "No, no, no! I have fissures!" and he continued anyway and said "Oh, it'll be quick."

And ever since she left there she has been in pain and bleeding from her fissures because of him doing that. W... t... f? I've never heard of a gynecologist doing this before.

So has it happened to any of you?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM
That's awful.
TheDrsRose
by Bad♄Wolf on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM
2 moms liked this

What the hell? No.

I was told I would get a butt swab at a future appointment MONTHS ago. I don't think they're supposed to not warn you and also,when she said no,he should have listened!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
My gyno has never once cornholed me....sorry for ur mommy:(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
No sounds like he violated her which is why i stick with female docs
proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM
I've never has it happen but I have heard of it happening.
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Yes. I've had it done by two different drs on two different occasions.

But I was warned ahead of time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Why?! That just doesn't make any sense to me. If they ever tried to do that to me... well let's just say it would NOT be happening.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Yes. I've had it done by two different drs on two different occasions.

But I was warned ahead of time.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Question

Is it necessary to perform a rectal exam during a routine pelvic exam? If a rectal probe is indicated, should one also test for occult blood or document that no stool was obtained?

Response from Pat Camillo, PhD, RN, APRN-BC 
President and CEO, Allwise Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY

A digital rectal exam, by itself, is not adequate screening for colorectal cancer -- nor is testing a single stool specimen for fecal occult blood.[1] Therefore, routine assessment of the rectum is not recommended during female pelvic exams.

Ultimately, the decision to do a rectal exam depends on the patient's presenting complaint or the physical exam findings. Symptoms that may lead the examiner to perform a rectal exam, and the goals of this assessment, include the following:

• Pelvic pain: to assess for masses and further isolate the source of the pain;

• Vaginal bleeding: to assess for the presence of uterine fibroids or other masses;

• Fecal incontinence: to assess for poor rectal tone;

• Rectal bleeding: to initially screen for hemorrhoids or growths, bearing in mind that a negative finding does not rule out either of these possibilities; and

• Chronic constipation: to assess for posterior pelvic floor disorders.[2]

Physical exam findings that indicate the need for a digital rectal exam include the following:

• A retroverted or retroflexed uterus: assessment of the uterus and ovaries is greatly enhanced if 1 finger is also inserted into the rectum;

• An atrophic vagina: if the bimanual exam is difficult to perform, a rectal exam will permit a limited assessment of the pelvis;

• Pain during the pelvic exam: to isolate the source of the pain and evaluate for masses; and

• Vaginal infection: to assess the cul-de-sac for fullness.

The preceding lists are not all-inclusive. Each situation should be assessed, and a determination in regard to the value of a rectal exam should be made by the examiner. Although a digital rectal exam is part of the annual screening for prostate cancer in men, it does not play a role in cancer screening for women. The evidence does not support this procedure as a component of the routine pelvic exam.

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM

No never!!

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM
My aunt and sister both have this done!
I never have. That's too weird!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)